General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Default Starting problems

1997 3.2TL. 177K miles on it. Lately, about 4 or 5 times in the past few months, the car would not start normally (quickly),or would die while driving down the street. In either case, I would wait 30 seconds or so, and it would fire up.
Wednesday afternnon, it would not start. Period. It turns over strobgly, but it wont catch. I tried enough to where the battery started to run down, so i left it at work I live in the Rocky Mountains, and it has been cold. I got a friend to tow it home for me. Saturday morning, still cold outside, I go and put jumper cables on it, and it fires right up.Drive it around the block, park it, turn it off. Try it again, it is a little weak turning over, but it starts. 10 minutes later, I go out to let it run for a bit. Weak battery again. I hook it up to my truck, and it just turns over again, just won't catch. Any suggestions?

Old 11-20-2010, 02:38 AM

It's very little problems, just relax
-----------
windows xp for notebooks

Old 12-04-2010, 11:13 PM

aha lol not laughing at u in any way same problem happened to me but in my old 95 civic lx. it turned ...yadda yadda... etc but soon to find out that it had to do with my main relay. and the fact that it wasn't clicking so the starter wouldn't know to click and fire and click everything else....(so said my civic fanatic friend.) either way i messed around online looking for main relay guides got a multi-tester and checked every main relay hole thingy. and found which one was not giving any juice. i then hooked a kill switch up to my battery and lead a second wire to main relay portion not giving any juice, click the switch boom started up no problem. i would suggest if u can charge your battery. (i lied to autozone said i think its bad they charged it for me for free) i let it sit did the wiring threw it back in haha finished. but other than tha it can be so many more options and variables to whats going on. good luck.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:44 PM

does it make a clicking sorta sounds when u go to turn it over, cause if so it could be ur starter. i just had to replace mine cause i was doing the same thing. good luck