General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Weird transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Weird transmission issue

I was driving home one night and I'm not sure exactly what I did but all of a sudden I couldn't get into 1st gear. Now I don't mean that i couldn't engage first gear.. it was locked out alteogether.

I brought it to the dealer where I bought it and the next day they called me saying I need to replace the transmission and they could not tell me if it will be covered under warranty until they tear it apart. At which point if it weren't covered under warranty I'd have to fork out big $$ just for the inspection. So I took my car back from them and just drove without 1st gear for a while.

A month later I brought it to another dealership to see what they say. I was expecting them to give me the same story and I was ready to take the chance and pay for the repairs if I had to. They called me 2 days later and tell me my car is fine and the tranny is working perfectly.. I was just a little low on fluid!

I didn't know that being a little low on fluid could cause such a dramatic problem.

Let me just say that I'm never going back to the dealership where I bought my car for service again.