General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

RSX has loud droning after stiffer motor mounts installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Question RSX has loud droning after stiffer motor mounts installed

One of the motor mounts broke the other day, so I figured it would be a good time to upgrade to stiffer ones. After I installed them, the car sounds much louder and drones while sitting in the driver's seat. From the outside, it sounds the same. I assume this is because the car vibrates more.

I'm looking for verification that it is louder because these stiffer mounts vibrate the car more. And also options to reduce this noise. Thanks

Old 01-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Default Engine does not vibrate more or less than before....

...instead, the vibration is not being absorbed or damped by your new, stiffer engine mounts. You need tuned motor mounts appropriate for your car. I don't know what was originally spec'd but I'd bet that they were a combination of rubber and metal. I'd go back to the original motor mounts in a second - there is little to be gained with aftermarket, stiffer mounts, except for annoying noises and vibration. You don't get any more power and you certainly don't get desirable sounds and sensations.

best of luck to you!
dd

Originally Posted by Gsass
One of the motor mounts broke the other day, so I figured it would be a good time to upgrade to stiffer ones. After I installed them, the car sounds much louder and drones while sitting in the driver's seat. From the outside, it sounds the same. I assume this is because the car vibrates more.

I'm looking for verification that it is louder because these stiffer mounts vibrate the car more. And also options to reduce this noise. Thanks