General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

crazy loud noise 95 integra

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Default crazy loud noise 95 integra

Hey all, not too mechanically inclined but I'll try and be as detailed as possible....
I drive a 1995 acura integra LS
My engine is making a constant, very loud, screeching noise (reeeeeeeeee). It happened the other day as I was creeping through a parking lot at low speed in first gear and turning to the left. Thought I could hear a barely audible click sound and then the screeching followed immediately after. I checked the drive belt, the ac belt, and the alternator belt and all seemed to be fine. The sound does not seem to fluctuate, though admittedly I haven't kept it on long enough to know for sure (don't want to drive it or leave the engine on for too long for fear of making things worse). Some of my mechanic friends on hearing my description have suggested a few possibilities: siezed water pump, bad bearing on either the drive belt or ac belt, power steering pump... I think the alternator is fine as I don't seem to experience any loss of power.. Like I said, I am not very mechanically inclined so if I have not given enough info let me know and I will try to correct that. Also, this sound is not the usual squeal that comes with a bad belt of some kind, a lot of people have suggested that and I am sure it's not the same sound.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by clumsythief
Hey all, not too mechanically inclined but I'll try and be as detailed as possible....
I drive a 1995 acura integra LS
My engine is making a constant, very loud, screeching noise (reeeeeeeeee). It happened the other day as I was creeping through a parking lot at low speed in first gear and turning to the left. Thought I could hear a barely audible click sound and then the screeching followed immediately after. I checked the drive belt, the ac belt, and the alternator belt and all seemed to be fine. The sound does not seem to fluctuate, though admittedly I haven't kept it on long enough to know for sure (don't want to drive it or leave the engine on for too long for fear of making things worse). Some of my mechanic friends on hearing my description have suggested a few possibilities: siezed water pump, bad bearing on either the drive belt or ac belt, power steering pump... I think the alternator is fine as I don't seem to experience any loss of power.. Like I said, I am not very mechanically inclined so if I have not given enough info let me know and I will try to correct that. Also, this sound is not the usual squeal that comes with a bad belt of some kind, a lot of people have suggested that and I am sure it's not the same sound.
Bump. Yeah, it could be the water pump or the power steering pump. If it's a ticking or tapping noise it may be the lash adjusters, It's certainly not the valves worn out. This issue is fairly common, dirty oil or of course low on oil can cause this. Air trapped inside the lash adjusters will not allow oil flow causing the tapping noise.

Try this procedure--change oil and filter:

Start the car and bring up to about 3000 rpm's for approx 1 minute, shut the engine off for another minute, restart and do the same procedure, try this several times. It will sometimes purge the air and stop the noise.

Last edited by ndrewoods; 04-11-2011 at 04:45 AM.