General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

CV Joint

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 02:52 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by P-Zero
Originally Posted by deserthonda
Originally Posted by alangrwd

This is a bad and dangerous idea. Sorry but it is. You can check it just as easily by just driving the car.

-P.
sometimes while driving the car and turning 1 way or the other you cannot duplicate the noise ,been there done that probably a few hundred times , and unless noise is very audible to the side that it is coming from, you cannot properly tell which side is no good,,
First test i do is to drive the car in corners , steering wheel 1 way then the other to pinpoint the noise ,, but i have found that if it is real hard to pinpoint, by raising the frt wheels off the ground and do the test i wrote earlier , you can properly pinpoint which axle is no good

And as for being a bad idea, dangerous , i would presume one makes sure to put jack stands under the car and e-brake on and do this in a level floor .. I thought that part would go without saying

Old 04-15-2007, 03:25 AM
Administrator :

Originally Posted by deserthonda
Originally Posted by alangrwd

It could also be a bearing, a cracked wheel, or loose lug nuts. Make sure your nuts are properly torqued. After that you will have to do some disassembly and inspection to identify the source.

it is NOT the wheel bearing or a loose wheel..
first off wheel bearing does not make a clicking noise more like a howling noise and not just on turns
A loose wheel would make noise no matter how car was driven , straight or turns ..
if noise is heard just on turns ,, sounds like you got a bad cv joint ,
to confirm, raise the frt wheel off the ground. have someone start the car , put it in gear and have him (her ) turn the steering wheel fully one way and the other .while you try to listen to the noise by the wheel .. you should be able to hear the noisy axle side

**Thank you DesertHonda for your great information as you always provide in all of our forums..[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

WheelBrokerAng [img]smileys/smiley16.gif[/img]

Old 04-17-2007, 12:21 PM

Let me just set yall straight it is not a wheel bearing on that vehicle it is called a HUB bearing.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:11 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by mechanic
Let me just set yall straight it is not a wheel bearing on that vehicle it is called a HUB bearing.
there is no setting anybody straight ,, give me a break man
I have called it and all the techs i have worked with and still work with and all the part depart guys call it a wheel bearing , yes it is in the hub, so what?? if you call the part department and ask them about the wheel bearing i bet you any money they all will know what you are talking about .
what do you call a valve cover gasket ?? upper cylinder head gasket ?? it sits on the top side of the cylinder head does it not ??