General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

CV Joint

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:20 AM

Hi first time posting.

Ihave a 1990 Acura Integra GS. I have a clicking sound on right turns I bleave this is caused by a worn CV joint. just wondering if anyone can confirm my suspicions.

Also if anyone knows an easy way to replace the CV joint i have some mechanical know how but not to much. not to sure about the level of difficulty

Thank u very much any response will be appreciated

Old 04-10-2007, 11:18 AM

It could also be a bearing, a cracked wheel, or loose lug nuts. Make sure your nuts are properly torqued. After that you will have to do some disassembly and inspection to identify the source.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:15 PM

Thanks for replying. should of mention this before i just bought it off an acura lot and it passed saftey so would think they would check the wheels and torque the lug nuts properly but i will double check.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:39 PM

Are you saying you bought a 1990 Integra from an Acura dealer? I have never known a dealer to place a 15 year old automobile on their lot; five years old seems to be the limit.

I never trust car dealers! There too many ways to hide problems and defects and used car dealers are the experts at employing such tools.

To test for a cracked or damaged wheel try using the spare or move both of the rears to the front, see of the noise goes away or moves to the rear.

Check the tires for nails, screws or embedded stones.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:55 PM

yeah i know its hard to believe but its true this car was purchased from a genuine Acura dealership. at time of purchase the car had only 103000 km's a the body was pristine. i have tried the spare idea u had but this did not solve the problem. i think i may take it to my mechanics and have them diagnose the problem. problem worth the $25.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by alangrwd

It could also be a bearing, a cracked wheel, or loose lug nuts. Make sure your nuts are properly torqued. After that you will have to do some disassembly and inspection to identify the source.

it is NOT the wheel bearing or a loose wheel..
first off wheel bearing does not make a clicking noise more like a howling noise and not just on turns
A loose wheel would make noise no matter how car was driven , straight or turns ..
if noise is heard just on turns ,, sounds like you got a bad cv joint ,
to confirm, raise the frt wheel off the ground. have someone start the car , put it in gear and have him (her ) turn the steering wheel fully one way and the other .while you try to listen to the noise by the wheel .. you should be able to hear the noisy axle side

Old 04-11-2007, 11:52 AM

I stand corrected! [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Well, I had a wheel that made a bell like noise as it rolled: more when it turned one way, none the other way and little going strait ahead. I took it back to the deaaler and they replaced all the wheel bearings, under warrantee. When i got it back, the noise was still there. By experimenting with the spare, I eventually discovered that the source to be a wheel that my wife had hit the curb with. A new wheel is not a cheap fix, either.

Things get stuck in tires that make variousclick-click-click noises.

I have had wheel bearings make clicking noises, although not on any front wheel drive vehicles.

I have had CV joints make clicking, clanking and other noises. One was ona rear drive vehicle---a Vanagon.

You probably have the right diagnosis. If so, the joints are fun to change; not easy mind you, just fun.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies

axle replacement is not that bad at all, the hardest part is possibly to remove the axle nut ( unless you got the proper tools)
if you want to replace it
go to.. www.hondaaccordforum.com
go to the DIY section , there is a step by step write up on HOW TO replace axle ,, the write up is for hondas but it is the same thing . the integra you would follow the 86-89 accord procedure as axle will not slide out from the fork , so fork need to be removed , or remove the lower bolt and swing the fork over the lower control arm
Yo Mad
If you attempt to do it and run into any issues . Holler

Old 04-11-2007, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by deserthonda
Originally Posted by alangrwd

it is NOT the wheel bearing or a loose wheel..
first off wheel bearing does not make a clicking noise more like a howling noise and not just on turns
A loose wheel would make noise no matter how car was driven , straight or turns ..
if noise is heard just on turns ,, sounds like you got a bad cv joint ,
to confirm, raise the frt wheel off the ground. have someone start the car , put it in gear and have him (her ) turn the steering wheel fully one way and the other .while you try to listen to the noise by the wheel .. you should be able to hear the noisy axle side
This is a bad and dangerous idea. Sorry but it is. You can check it just as easily by just driving the car.
Depending on which side the noise, you turn the wheel all the way to the lock. So if you suspect the right side CV to be bad, turn the wheel all the way left and go forward. If the cv is bad itll make A LOT of noise (usually). And if you suspect the left CV, crank it to the right.
-P.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:21 PM

thanks so much for all ofyour help i think i wil attempt this over the weekend.

Quick Reply: CV Joint