General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

sticking cy joint?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 01:52 AM

Hi I have a 90 integra Ls, and i just put in a new tranny, clutch, cv joints, and tierod ends. the problem is my front end is vibrating when i brake and when i goreach hiway speeds. its not the tires because i had them balenced yesterday. I was reading a haynes manual and it said that a cv joint could be sticking,problem is it doesnt explain what asticking cv joint is or how to fix it. it is my best guess, but i dont know. It could be something else any help would be great. thank you.

Old 12-27-2005, 10:56 AM
Administrator

did you do any work to the brakes when you had it apart?

Old 12-27-2005, 11:57 AM

I had a Bearing Pressed on the driver side a few days ago. the mechanic removed the brake assembly. other then that the pads were changed a few months back.

Old 01-05-2006, 03:13 PM

was it doing it before you had the bearing pressed? sometimes the hub can get bent when pressing bearings on. espeacially when the guy doing it has a name like billy bob or something like that! lmao

anyway if it's bent, it'll give you a vibration like that. as far as the cv shafts, sometimes the inner joint will get binded up and will make the front end shake, but that is mostly durring hard excelleration. sometimes when you get rebuilt cv shafts, they're not done right, or sometimes cheap places will only fix the outer joint and just put a new boot on the inner if they think that's all that's wrong with it. there again, maybe a billy bob guy rebuilt em! lol

Old 01-05-2006, 11:37 PM

well I tore into the brake assembly on that side and discovered that my pads weren't put on corectly. I guess old billy bob didnt press the brake pedal after he put the brake back together, he must have pressed it after the car was in motion making the pad rub all the time on the rotor. warped my rotors. so ibought new rotors on ebay.hopefully that takes care of it. If it doesnt me and old billy bob will have a little chat.

Old 09-17-2006, 09:59 PM

ok i think you answered your question already.

does it vibrate at speed regardless of braking coasting or under power???

you said it vibrates when you break.

if it ONLY vibrates when you break then it has to be the brake system.

if you feel it in the steering wheel then check the front breaks first.

if you dont then check the back.

Odds are that you have a warped rotor have em turned.