Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your insides here...

B18A1 running bad

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 05:00 PM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();</>Hey I have an 89 civic with a B18A1 that is out of a 92 teg. The head gasket went just before winter and I just got it running today. During the replacement I did a lot of maintance to the motor. I cleaned about .030 of carbon off of each piston. I adjusted all of the valves because they were all too tight, I set exhaust at a loose .007 but .008 will not go through and intake is at a loose .006 but .007 will not go through. I replaced the upper fuel injector o-rings. I did stuff that needed to be done. this is a bone stock motor. The head was majorly warped because I continued to drive the car after the head gasket went. It had to be straightened before it could be resurfaced. the problem is now 1. I cannot time it because jumping the service connector at the connector or back probing at the computer itself does nothing. The timing does not fluctuate. When I try to time it the only mark that lines up is the white one that is separate from the group of three with the red one in the middle you know the one its supposed to be at. 2. this is probably linked to the timing issue but may also be because I am running regular 87 octane through the motor instead of premium accord to my Chilton's but I hate Chiltons. It runs horribly. it has no acceleration until around 4 or 5000 rpm. I have to downshift to go up hills which I have never had to do. The confusing thing is before the head gasket went I had timed it once before and everything went fine. It landed on the red mark, and it also ran awesome on regular. I mean it spinned into 4th gear. I don't know if the clutch is acting up. its a stage 3 but no clue what brand. I know I didn't fry it because I know when that happens. so if anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated

Old 05-13-2008, 12:49 AM

hey got it figured out it was a tooth off on the crank I was paranoid on making sure that the cams were lined up that I forgot to double check the crank. I do have another question. Why doesn't my timing fluctuate at idle? it doesn't matter if I jump the service connector or not it does not move.< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 05-13-2008, 04:43 PM

that service connector tells the computer to shut off timing modifiers.

it is possiable that your car at idle is running just fine and there for requires no modifiers.

run some bad gas through it and see what that timing connector is really doing

Old 05-13-2008, 11:57 PM

that was with bad gas. This thing has been sitting all winter and I just got it running. I mean it had Sta-Bil but it did not smell good. Its running good though but I just thought the timing should be fluctuating a bit more but then again Honda and Acura make some awesome motors
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();
</>