TL Acura's mid level luxury sedan puts the emphasis on creature comforts, without compromising class leading performance...

parasitic battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Exclamation parasitic battery drain

My 2007 Acura TL has gone through many batteries with several trips to the dealership only to have them tell me there is nothing wrong and that the battery must be the issue. I checked the voltage across each fuse and found that there is current flowing through about 3 fuses when the car is in sleep mode. Under the hood the "backup" fuse is registering 0.2 mV, everything else was reading 0. Inside the car, again the backup fuse was showing current registering 3.4 mV. Also the "interior lights" fuse was registering 2.7 volts. This is probably enough draw to cause a battery to drain over the course of a couple days if not started. I do not have any wiring diagrams so was looking for help on troubleshooting. What all is linked to the "backup" fuse? I know the trunk light is going out when closed so that should not be an issue. Also, how about the "interior lights" fuse? There were no lights on inside the car so I am not sure why my DMM is picking up voltage across that fuse. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

Old 03-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Don't know about the TL, but a lot of cars have a switched ground (instead of a switched hot wire), so a minor wiring short could be putting some electricity through the dome light, but not enough for it to light up.

Try removing the dome light bulbs to break the circuit, and see if there's still a current draw at that fuse.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:34 PM

acura's and honda's will take up to ten minutes to go into sleep mode once the alarm has been set. after that is when you check for a draw. check for amps not volts. run your meter in series with the negative bat cable. rule of thumb is 50ma and lower is normal. if you still have draw after ten minutes start pulling fuses to narrow down what circuit its on..... the hands free unit is a good place to start