TL Acura's mid level luxury sedan puts the emphasis on creature comforts, without compromising class leading performance...

HELP! This Noise is killing me!!!

Old 03-20-2008, 06:38 PM

Hi folks,

Here is my issue. I recently changed two front tires on my 2003 Acura TL-S Type. I had to change them manually because my spare was flat so I removed the fronts, had tires mounted and balanced on the rims, and put them on backin my driveway. During the time the car was without tires it was on blocks. My intention was then to have the car aligned.

I finish putting the tires on the car, jumped in it and took it around the block. What greets me is a horrific scraping, metal, clanging noise that is noticable above 10 mph - and gets worse as I pick up speed. The car sat for quite a while before I changed tires, and the rotors were rusty. I mention that only because I am not sure if it is important.
Is this normal or do I have a real issue? Please let me know, I am not even sure if I should drive the car at this point. Thank you for your help !!!

[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 03-21-2008, 04:33 PM

Certainly the noise is not normal. If it were me, I would not drive the car until it is diagnosed and resolved.

When you put the car up on blocks, what part of the car was resting on the blocks?

You say that the noise gets worse as you pick up speed and it is a scraping noise, I would guess that something is rubbing on the brake rotor or the wheel rim or something that is rotating as the car moves. I am guessing that you do not get this noise when the engine is running and being revved while standing still.

Here is what I would do to diagnose:
1. Chock one of the rear wheels and then jack up the other side of the car so the front wheel is off the ground and put at least 1 jack stand under the frame of the car toward the front.
2. Put the tranny in neutral.
3. Get under the car and manually rotate the wheel to see if you hear the sound. If you do, you may need to remove the wheel to look closer at what is making the sound. If you don't hear the sound, repeat the process in reverse and check the other front wheel.

If that doesn't turn up anything, you may need to have someone else look at it. My guess is that when you put the car on blocks, you ended up bending something into a moving part.

And remember to check the air in your spare a couple times a year! [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]

&lt; src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"&gt;&lt; ="text/"&gt;_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/">
</>
< ="text/">
_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();
</>
Edited by: jg atl

Old 03-23-2008, 08:35 AM

You should check the brake disks for rust/debris if you say it's been sitting for a while. [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Rideadvised Acura TL
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 03-24-2008, 07:25 AM

im betting you bent 1 of the sheet metal dust plates that are behind those rear rotors.

jack up the car and block it too please.

then 1 wheel at a time spin the wheel by hand till you find the corner that is making the noise.

once you find it look behind the disk rotor and with a screwdriver/
prybar (small one) bend the botom of that sheet metal away from
the disk.

OR take it to a shop and have them fix it or at least check it out.

it better not cost more than having your tires rotated.

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();
</>