Integra The car that brought the Acura name to the foreground of the sport tuner market...

Help?! '90 Integra is KILLING me!

Old 06-28-2012, 03:14 AM
Default Help?! '90 Integra is KILLING me!

Hey there...

Bought a '90 Integra from the mother in law... She said everything was fine with it except it needing a new thermostat.

Drove it for a week when the cooling hoses started to break, and the car wouldn't start at times. We replaced the hoses, and planned to rebuild the starter. Before we could get the starter rebuilt (about a week) it started having other starting issues, it will crank and crank and not actually start until you've tried about 5 times, then when it does start it acts like it's flooded and will bog out and even die a couple times. Had the starter rebuilt and put in a new fuel pressure regulator. Bought a new radiator and thermostat and put those in as well. The overheating and no turn over when starting the car is now fixed, but it's still having the cranking with no start and bogging out issue. What should I fix next? Injectors? Fuel pump? I'm already pretty far in the hole with this car, so I would really like to avoid a bunch of unnecessary fixes. Please help!!

Old 08-28-2013, 10:57 AM

I have a similar starting issue with my '88 Integra. If I hold the key to keep it cranking it just won't start. If I turn the key for half a second and let go it usually starts fine. It's very strange and I'm not sure why it does this but try to see if that works for you.

You can listen for the fuel pump whine when you turn the key before ignition. You may also be able to hear the relay click. It is my understanding that when a relay or pump dies it stops working flat out. Since the car will work once on I doubt it's the pump or relay. You can try to clean the injectors and intake area. Maybe some carb cleaner will do some good.

Does it idle strangely when you finally get it to start? This is usually caused by a vacuum leak. Check hoses and replace if necessary.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:44 PM
Administrator :
Talking Hi Member...

Originally Posted by Yeti Poacher
I have a similar starting issue with my '88 Integra. If I hold the key to keep it cranking it just won't start. If I turn the key for half a second and let go it usually starts fine. It's very strange and I'm not sure why it does this but try to see if that works for you.

You can listen for the fuel pump whine when you turn the key before ignition. You may also be able to hear the relay click. It is my understanding that when a relay or pump dies it stops working flat out. Since the car will work once on I doubt it's the pump or relay. You can try to clean the injectors and intake area. Maybe some carb cleaner will do some good.

Does it idle strangely when you finally get it to start? This is usually caused by a vacuum leak. Check hoses and replace if necessary.
Thanks for your answer to her problem..She more than likely won't see it..she posted that post over a year ago..but thank you for answering it cuz it may help another member..

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2013, 10:03 AM

Oh hahaha I did not notice..

Oh well. I hope it can help someone too!