TL Acura's mid level luxury sedan puts the emphasis on creature comforts, without compromising class leading performance...

Front end vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 01:47 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Front end vibration

I tried asking in another thread, but got no response, so apologies if this is seen as a duplicate thread, but I don't think it is.

'02 TL-S, never damaged, never even kissed a curb. I have aftermarket wheels with a negative 10 offset (they stick out just a bit more than the stock wheels). I get a vibration that starts around 40 - 42 mph and goes away around 50. It is barely noticeable under light acceleration and very noticeable under a load (like accelerating up a grade).

I have heard about force balancing (I think that is what it is called) and I have tried that with little change.

I also have the factory wheels and to rule out the aftermarket wheels, I installed the original wheels and tires. Though it is much much less of an effect, the vibration is still there.

Based on the fact that it is more pronounced under a load and evident with both sets of wheels, I am thinking it is not a balance issue. In fact, if I coast down a grade and gain speed through that range (40 to 50) the issue is non-existent.

I have to imagine it is an axle issue and perhaps it is more pronounced with the aftermarket wheels because they stick out slightly?

Don't know, I am not an engineer - but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Old 12-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Default If you have the issue with 2 different sets of wheel....

It most likely is not the balance of the wheels/tires.

The next thing to do is to look at what other items of rotating mass there are in the car. You rightly pointed out the drive shafts, and the other is the brake rotors. There could also be an issue with a wheel bearing. The greater offset on the new wheels put a heavier load on the wheel bearing, and given that the problem is more pronounced with the new wheels, that would be my guess as the most likely culprit given the information available.

Usually when wheel bearings start to go, there are indications like a rumbling noise coming form them and perhaps you can wobble the wheel around just a bit (though to check this out you really need to remove the brake caliper and the drive shaft.

Find a good mechanic and have him check:
1. Front wheel bearings
2. Brake rotors
3. Drive shafts

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks. The car is in the shop as I write this. I am having it checked out. They discounted the wheel bearings since there is no sound and they immediately suspected the CV joint. I'll follow up with a final verdict

Old 12-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

JG ATL, just wanted to confirm that the issue of the vibration was confirmed. The shop found two things. The inner CV joint was bad and the right axle was replaced. They also found two motor mounts that were broken and replaced them. OUCH! $$ Though the motor mounts had likely little to do with the vibration, I did suspect there was an issue there related to something else.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Default Glad you got it fixed Leeper!

Sounds like you have a good mechanic there. And the broken/worn motor mounts certainly did not help the problem and they probably helped transmit some of the vibration to the chasis.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:25 AM
Administrator :

Good post here..glad to see you 2 help each other out...keep up with each other..

WheelBrokerAng