TL Acura's mid level luxury sedan puts the emphasis on creature comforts, without compromising class leading performance...

2008 side mirror actuator - kind of screwed by shop

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 07:21 PM
Default 2008 side mirror actuator - kind of screwed by shop

I am having some issues putting my side mirror actuator back together and am reaching out for help.

Background
I have zero experience working on cars but I like taking things apart. The short summary is that I thought I could swap the side mirror housing myself, realized I couldn’t and went to a body shop, they broke something then delayed for months so I decided to do it myself again.

Problem
When initially disassembling the mirror, the shop guy didn’t know about using a screwdriver to pry the mirror off the actuator. Instead the actuator came apart. Trying to line the white pins back up was tricky and how they got broken.

Current situation
On the car: Everything is attached to my vehicle except the glass and the half of the actuator. One of the broken clamping pins (not threaded) is stuck on the actuator. I think I can get it off if I borrow some pliers.

Off the car: I have the glass fully separate from other parts. I have one actuator disk with all four pins intact plus the old one with broken pins. I have the little metal disc that sits in the center of the actuator. Photo attached.

Question
Has anyone successfully re-attached the pins? Like, is it even reasonably possible to get everything lined up correctly? Or should I just admit (partial) defeat and order another actuator?