TL Acura's mid level luxury sedan puts the emphasis on creature comforts, without compromising class leading performance...

2007 TL-S Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 12:35 PM

My New 2007 TL-S with the manual transmission and 600 miles just got back out of the dealer's shop after having been refitted with new rear shocks. According the the sales and service staffs, the rear shocks have been a problem since day one. When I test drove the demo unit, the rattling was HUGE, and was a deal breaker. However, they told me acura had since solved the problem and recent deliveries had new shocks. It seems the manufacturer (showa) had not made the shock to spec, the they were now making them properly.

I test drove the care before delivery and the ride, while stiff, was relatively free from rattles. However, after only a couple of hundred miles the rattles emerged. The technician diagnosed the problem as the "rear strut problem" and we scheduled an appointment. I dropped the car of on Monday. They said they replace the rear struts 3 times, trying to find a pair that doesn't rattle. Apparently they did, because the majority of the rattle is gone, but there is still a metallic suspension rattle that seems to come from the front.

Has anyone else encounted this problem on the 2007 TL-S?

Thanks

Walt

Old 08-30-2007, 08:25 PM

Well, the dealer canceled my next scheduled Friday appointment and rescheduled me on Tuesday, as that was when the dealer technician would be available to ride with me. On Tuesday I asked him to drive it. He and I took it over some very bumpy roads while both the front and rear banged continuously. After several miles he admitted he heard thumping from the rear, but nothing from the front. As we were pulling into the dealership, the rattling noises from both the front and rear were distinct and he volunteered he heard both ends rattling.

I left it Tuesday morning at 810. The dealer gave me a 2007 TSX with 11000+ as a loaner. While firm, it road well with NO rattling and (comparatively) very little suspension or tire noise over the same roads.

The dealer called at 330PM and asked to keep the car another day as they were not satisfied with the progress. The called again at 330PM on Wednesday and requested another day.

On Thursday at 400 PM they called and asked me to come in, explaining they had taken the other two type s on the lot for rides and found the ride and noise comparable. Therefore, the noise was typical of the model.

While they did not come out and say it, I felt they were implying that since all the Type S' had the problem I should accept it. I told them the suspension was not acceptable and that just because the design was faulty did not excuse them from fixing the problem.

The service rep asked me to drive the car over the weekend to see if the "repair" improved the noises. It took me exiting the dealership to know it had not.

They asked me to be patient while they worked their way up to the proper people at Acura/Honda.

This is the second repair attempt on the rear and the first on the front, even though I had told them about the front end rattle on my previous repair attempt for the rear suspension problem.

At first they told me they had had only three vehicles with this problem of all the type s they had sold. One belonged to a tech, and the other two I had driven. Now, as the other two on the lot have the same problem, it seems to be "normal" for the vehicle.

I will be going back on Tuesday. Since they seem to have exhausted their allowed responses to the problem, it is now time to get Honda involved.

I believe they can address and solve the problem. They may just need some encouragement. I am eager to work with them to an equitable solution, but my patience is a bit strained. It is an Acura TL, not some econobox. Even with a firm suspension, it should not rattle over ripples.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:23 PM

look up a aftermarket shock company tell them of this problem.

I know custome shocks can be made for any aplication.

maybe bilstein wants in on this action?

then make the dealership pay you for the 3-4k its gonna cost to have custom shocks made up.

BTW your the 3rd on this forum that i know of that has had this EXACT problem.

quick make them give you back that loner and hold it ransom till thay buy it back.

hmm i think that would turn into theft on your part...scratch that. fun, idea bad plan.