Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic... just about anything goes...

Premium luxury sedan

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 12:04 AM
Default Premium luxury sedan

Convertibles are more glamorous, SUVs are tougher and crossovers more practical. But large luxury sedans are still the flagships for most carmakers and can be symbols of success for their owners.

Big four-doors like the Mercedes-Benz S550 or BMW 750Li, which can cost $100,000 or more, carry a palpable measure of prestige. But for half or even a third as much, one can buy a large luxury sedan with many of the same features, from powerful engines and passenger video screens to cruise control that automatically slows the car when traffic gets thick.

Models like the Lincoln MKS, Buick LaCrosse CXS and Hyundai Genesis cost about $33,000 to $50,000, depending on optional equipment. They lack the cachet of high-end European luxury names, but still represent some of the best design and technology their makers have to offer. Most drivers would find their power, comfort and overall luxury more than adequate.

The difference between these cars and sedans like the Mercedes S-Class and BMW 7-Series is in the attention to detail. Those shiny accents that often appear as bands around windows are often chrome-colored plastic instead of polished or plated metal. Inside, there is less leather: The less-expensive models have leather seats but lack the leather-trimmed dashboards and other interior surfaces found in more upscale sedans.

Still, the Lincoln MKS, Buick LaCrosse CXS and Hyundai Genesis all have cushy interiors and high-tech electronics that make long trips a pleasure. But there are differences in their design, ride and overall feel that separate the three. Here is how they stacked up:

Lincoln MKS with EcoBoost

Base price: $48,160

Horsepower: 355

Fuel Economy: 17 mpg in city driving, 25 mpg on highway

Driving the MKS is a pleasure. It has the most power of the three and I could easily feel the difference in power when accelerating onto the highway. While the Buick and Hyundai were fast enough, the MKS was startlingly quick. I had expected a lot of muscle from its turbocharged six-cylinder engine, but I was pleasantly surprised by its crisp handling and fuel efficiency. While running everyday errands with a few longer jaunts mixed in, I averaged 22 miles per gallon, which is very good for a car this large and powerful.

I wish the MKS looked as sharp and dynamic as it feels. Its overall shape lacks definition, with edges that seem to have been rounded off too much. Its short, sloping rear end looks droopy and, in a letdown for practicality, a small trunk lid makes loading large items difficult or impossible even though the trunk itself is huge. It also seems expensive. Fully equipped it is more than $50,000, which is close to the starting price for a Mercedes E-Class or BMW 5-Series sedan.

On the road, the LaCrosse moves quietly and has crisp handling that helps the driver feel more engaged compared with earlier Buicks, in which the steering often felt vague. Its back seat is especially roomy and comfortable, so passengers will not feel short-changed by having to ride in back. Indeed, Buick says it designed the new Lacrosse in part to appeal to well-heeled buyers in China, who typically hire drivers and ride in the back seat. Where the LaCrosse falls a bit short is in its ride. While it feels sure-footed, it lacks a sense of weight and authority, even though it weighs more than 4,000 pounds. It also lacks pizzazz. Passersby were always asking what it was instead of saying, 'That must be the new Buick.' People also mistook it for an Acura RL, Nissan Maxima and other not-so-distinctive-looking cars.

Hyundai Genesis 3.8

Base price: $33,000

Horsepower: 290

Fuel Economy: 18 mpg in city driving, 27 mpg on highway

Hyundai's Genesis surprised a lot of people when it arrived for 2009, and it is still the best choice in this trio for drivers looking for a luxury car with a lower price and lower profile -- but without giving up much in quality or performance. While plain looking on the outside, it still appears large, well-finished and substantial sitting at the curb. Inside, it is roomy and comfortable with a combination of leather upholstery, wood trim and chrome accents that convey a sense of luxury one expects in pricier cars. Its dashboard was the best-looking of the group, and its controls' ***** and switches had the best feel -- solid, nicely textured and easy to grip. This is an area in which many cars, other than top-end luxury models, tend to fall short.

Where the Genesis excels most is on the road. While it is available with a more-powerful eight-cylinder engine, I preferred the six-cylinder model's more nimble, better-balanced feel. It had a nice -- and rare -- combination of sharp handling and a solid, weighty feeling that makes big cars such a joy to drive on long trips. Driving it, I couldn't stop thinking about how many small, unsatisfying, cheap-feeling cars are available for the same price. If I owned a Genesis, it would make me feel smart instead of cheap.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:48 AM
Administrator :

Good post on these cars..Thank you for it.

WheelBrokerAng