New Member Area New to Acura Forum? Stop in tell us about you...

New member considering trade for an acura

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 07:02 AM

Condsidering trading my car for a 96 2.5 TL. It has 139k miles, and needs a flex pipe and back tires to pass inspection. otherwise its in decent shape for it's age. needs a couple little things but so does my car. what are some things to look out for in these? the car i am trading for it is a 93 bmw 318is with some work done to it. I want to make sure im not giving up my dependable although slow car for something that may end up having alot of problems. I think the acura should be solid but just checking as i dont have alot of money for repairs. thanks for your advice.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:57 PM

Here's what I look for on a Acura/honda.

ENGINE: It has to start strong. When It's running cold itcan'tsurge or have a ticking sound coming from the valve cover. check the accessory belts for cracks. When it warms up does the idle slow down smoothly.And most Importantly, WHEN WAS THE TIMING BELT LAST CHANGED AND DO THEY HAVE A PHYSICAL RECORD OF THE JOB!

DRIVING: check the brake rotors for grooves or gouges. When your test driving it get into a big parking lot and turn in circles both directions kinda fast but not TOO fastwith the steering wheel fully cranked. Listen to make sure the front wheels are not makinga clicking noise. So to sum up, no surging(sensors problem) no ticking(valve or timing problem) no clicking(CV joint or suspension problem) and WHEN WAS THE TIMING BELT LAST CHANGED. If it passes all this take it to your mechanic and have them give it the once over. If it's all good the car should go for years and years with way cheaper maintaince than the BMW. If you have the VIN# I can check it for you on carfax for free.(I have the service for 15 more days) Good Luck! [img]smileys/smiley16.gif[/img]