Integra The car that brought the Acura name to the foreground of the sport tuner market...

Why won't my Integra start? (video included)

Old 01-12-2016, 10:39 PM
Default Why won't my Integra start? (video included)

My 95 Acura Integra with about 240,000 miles on it was driving fine, but sprang a coolant leak at the water pump. So I installed a new one myself and replaced the timing belt too. Put everything back together and tried to start the car but she won't start. It sounds like the engine WANTS to start, but it won't catch.

Now, here's what alarmed me when I tried to start it: there was a slight banging sound. So I thought s***, maybe I bent the valves.

Before starting it though I made EXTRA certain that the #1 piston was at top dead center...HOWEVER, when I aligned the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley, it caused the cams to not match up by a good 2-3 teeth. And when the cams matched up exactly, it caused the crank timing mark to be slightly off. SO in order to be sure it was at TDC, I did the screwdriver test, turning the crank by hand until the screwdriver was at its highest position.

Then I checked the distributor before firing it up and the distributor seemed to be pointing at the #1 cylinder, so I don't know what could be causing it not to start. It's been sitting idle for a good 3-4 weeks, but that's not so long that would cause to not to start is it?

I don't know what else to do. Made an appointment with a mechanic but it's not until next week as they were booked up until then.

SO WHAT COULD BE CAUSING MY CAR NOT TO START? Grr, I thought I did everything correctly and have exhausted my know-how. Could the valve cover not being on tight affect compression?

I just made a short video to capture what it sounds like when I try to start it (please copy &paste if not clickable):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k65...ature=youtu.be