Integra The car that brought the Acura name to the foreground of the sport tuner market...

overheating intermittant starts

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 01:23 AM

I have a 1990, 2 door, 5 spd Integra. About a month ago i was driving on the freeway for about an hour and when i got off the freeway, it jerked really hard at the stop sign, but thats it, it only did it once. Later that day i was driving for about 5 minutes and it jerked hard again and this time stalled. It would not start so i kept turning it over and after about 10 tries, it started and drove fine. I drove for another hour on the freeway and it jerked again, and sounded like it was missing. I had to run it in 4th gear on the freeway otherwise it would putter and sound like it was going to die. This problem continued sporadically for the next few weeks. Then later that month, the heat gauge was normal when i started driving and after about 2 miles it shot up to hot. Car was not steaming or acting like it was hot but it began doing this everytime i started it. I continued having the overheating issue along with the sporadic jerking and sometimes it wouldnt start until about 10 tries. A few days ago i was driving out of a parking lot and it jerked very hard and died. it will NOT start now! no matter how many times i tried!

any ideas!!??

also, it has 292 k's on it lol

Edited by: tejadasammy

Old 11-25-2008, 09:33 PM

Alright, so i replaced the head gasket, fuel filter, and thermostat. overheating problem is gone. buuut, i still have the problem with the starting. it will start fine when the car is cold, but after a few starts and it is warm, i will not start! ive tried giving it a little gas while cranking it but no luck. it turns over but just wont start.
once it does start, i drive it for about a mile or 2 and it will randomly jerk like it is missing. the last two times, it has died right after it jerked. im not sure what else to do!
also, i put a new battery in to hopefully rule that out.
im moving in just a few days and it is crucial that i fix this before i move!! any help is appreciated!

Edited by: tejadasammy