General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Flushing Systems is a Big No No

Old 04-08-2007, 07:21 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Flush Systems: A Big Taboo

In Acura vehicles, the transmission, as well as the
systems that handle lubrication, cooling, fuel, and
power steering, are designed to give thousands of
miles of trouble-free service if you follow the
maintenance schedule to the letter.

Flush systems are a popular aftermarket offering
these days. These products look impressive and
make lots of claims, but American Honda strongly
recommends you avoid using them on any Honda
vehicle. Here’s why:

• The maintenance schedule neither requires
nor approves of aftermarket flush systems.

• Flush systems take time to do; this adds to
your service customer’s wait time.

• Flush systems haven’t demonstrated an
improvement in vehicle performance or
reliability.

• Flush systems using solvents may leave
solvent in the system you’re flushing. This will
dilute the fluid or lubricant and degrade its
performance.

• Flush systems using filters can filter out vital
additives and degrade the fluid’s or lubricant’s
performance. This is particularly true for
coolant.

• Any damage caused by flush systems isn’t
covered by warranty.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:42 AM

Long have I suspected these so called 'Life Extending Services' of being nothing more than gimicks to suck money from customer's pockets. Dealer service departments are notorious for promoting these scams, Toyota being the last I had to fend off doing half a dozen such operations, including a transmission flush. According to the dipstick, my Corolla never needs a fluid change under normal use.

Anyway is there a Honda/Acura reference document supporting your statements?

I have wondered if I should attempt some sort of a fluid change on my 95 Legends power steering system. It has 178,000 miles and the fluid is dark. The system works fine and has no leaks. Does the old saw---don't fix it if it ain't broke---apply?

[img]smileys/smiley16.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2007, 04:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by alangrwd

Anyway is there a Honda/Acura reference document supporting your statements?

Honda service news feb 2006 ..

And by the way,,for future references , i would not input any informations in here without either experiencing it myself and know it to work , OR got it ( read ) from a reliable source

Old 04-11-2007, 12:15 PM

Found the service bulletin. Very interesting, especially the part about tire pressure. Some tire shops have gotten into the habit of installing and inflating tires to similar pressures, then delivering to the customers.

Your quoting this bulletin lends greatly to you credentials.

Thanks

Old 04-11-2007, 01:41 PM

Desert Honda, as far as honda/acura is concerned you are very correct in telling people to steer clear of trans flushes. The nearest Acura dealer to me used to REALLY push trans flushes. Until the customers started coming back with trans issues. MOST flush machines use the fluid provided by the company that makes/distributes the flush machine. This usually is a generic fluid used in all makes and models. I had a rep from one of these companies assure me that their fluid meets or exceeds the needed specs of the ATF Z1. It does not, I refused to use their product (going against the director of our dealerships wishes) unless I had a written letter from the company saying that if the transmissions fail they will cover ALL costs of the replacement trans and labor. They never got me the letter.
As for brake flushes, I do recommend those. Especially if you live in a climate that see's lots of snow/rain. We flush our cars here every 15,000 miles. This helps prevent the braking system from rusting internally, and assures that our customer will never overheat and boil their brake fluid.
Power steering flushes on the other hand I would never touch unless its leaking. Theres no point, even if the fluid looks very dark, just leave it alone.
Coolant flushes are pointless, when a simple drain and fill of the cooling system is sufficient. Dont ever buy the additives they will try to sell you. If anything itll cause damage to the vehicle.
-P.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:15 PM

Yes,brake fluid changes are important. Brake fluid absorbs moisture out of the air.

Acura recommends changing the transmission fluid every 30K miles on my 95 Legend. What is your opinion regarding the use of synthetic transmission fluids?

Old 04-12-2007, 02:57 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by P-Zero
As for brake flushes, I do recommend those. Especially if you live in a climate that see's lots of snow/rain. We flush our cars here every 15,000 miles. This helps prevent the braking system from rusting internally, and assures that our customer will never overheat and boil their brake fluid.

-P.
they do not say anything about NOT doing brake flush ,, as a matter of facts Honda/Acura include that in the regular maintenance services
As a matter of fact ,i advice people to flush brake system every 3ok miles

Old 04-12-2007, 02:58 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by alangrwd

Yes,brake fluid changes are important. Brake fluid absorbs moisture out of the air.

Acura recommends changing the transmission fluid every 30K miles on my 95 Legend. What is your opinion regarding the use of synthetic transmission fluids?

Just use regular Honda /Acura tranny fluid ,, ATF-Z1