General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Burning Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 07:42 PM
Default Burning Oil

Are there any known issues with the 2008 TL Type S burning oil?
We recently purchased this car with 73083 miles. In just 500 miles it appears to have burned approximately 15%. Is this normal on this car? I'm used to going 5000 miles between changes without ever burning any oil?

Old 03-04-2011, 09:13 PM

A car burns oil for several reasons. The problem usually occurs with older cars that have a lot of miles on them, when the engine has endured much wear and tear. There may be a leak around the valve covers or in the oil pump, for example. Newer cars burn very little, if any oil at all, between oil changes every 3,000 miles. But even newer cars can burn oil if their engines haven't been maintained properly.

Inspect the valve cover(s)--there may be one or two--on the engine for oil leaks. If there's oil leaking along the valve covers where they meet the engine head, that's probably why the car is burning oil. Because this area is not under pressure, the leak will be rather slow.

Last edited by ndrewoods; 03-05-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:49 AM

I am also facing the same problem. i am just wondering what should i do. let me see what can be done okay.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:34 AM
Default Lots of stuff to consider here.....

1. Make sure it is not losing oil because of leaks. You will usually see small puddles of oil under the car (memories of my old MG!), or you might smell burning oil on the block or exhaust pipes, or you may see evidence of oil seeping along the engine block.

2. If the car is under warranty and still has some warranty coverage - then I would document the oil usage very closely for several thousand miles. Manufacturers usually have a specification that says it is OK to consume X amount of oil over Y amount of miles. If you exceed that - then you have a warranty claim

3. If oil is not leaking, then it is probably burning internally. There are a couple places where this can come from - mainly around the piston rings or along the valve guides. A competent mechanic can do a thing called a leak down test on each cylinder. The test will show how much compress a cylinder is losing and where it is losing it. Of course the resolution for either of these conditions is a very expensive rebuild of the head(s) or bottom end of the engine.

4. Another possibility is a problem with the Exhaust Gas Recirculation System that could be causing some oil to be blown into the intake system. When this is happening, there is usually a pretty good indication with a blue cloud of oil smoke coming out of the exhaust. Again a competent mechanic can check and diagnose this.

There are probably other causes that I am not thinking of. Get your car to your favorite mechanic and have it checked out. Good luck!

Old 06-14-2011, 01:14 PM

I have a 2007 Type S that has 38,000 miles and have never had an issue until recently. After returning from two long (6 hour plus) trips, the next day while driving to the store the low oil pressure light came on. I took it immendiately to the dealer, he said the engine was down a quart and they checked and found no evidence of leakage (I found no oil leakage on the garage either). When I asked what was up, I was told it was normal for for all Acuras to burn about 1 quart every 1 to 2 k miles. I find this strange since I had no oil loss for the first 38,000. What experience do other have?

Old 11-15-2012, 07:41 AM
Newest Of Newbies

it is due to week rings or piston, and you have to change your car engine oil after 2000 miles coverage

Old 11-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Administrator :
Talking Hi New Member

Originally Posted by goodnok
it is due to week rings or piston, and you have to change your car engine oil after 2000 miles coverage
Have you noticed that some of these posts that your answering to are over a year old and have had no answers since then.?

WheelBrokerAng

Old 11-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

When this is happening, there is usually a pretty good indication with a blue cloud of oil smoke coming out of the exhaust. Again a competent mechanic can check and diagnose this.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:13 AM
Newest Of Newbies

well this type of problem never arrived with me. it looks an uneven type of problem its just hard to guess the exact error in it.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:18 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by wilson123
I am also facing the same problem. i am just wondering what should i do. let me see what can be done okay.

Follow Your Heart on Sons Of Anarchy Seasons 1-5 DVD, Pursue Fantastic Space for TV Shows