TSX Acura's compact sedan offering performance comparable to any car in the class combined with the luxurious interior...

A/C Compressor noise in new TSX?!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:30 PM

Hey guys,

I just purchased a brand new 08 TSX. I love the car, but I'm wondering if I should be concerned about the sound the car makes when the A/C is running.

Basically, when the A/C is turned on, there is a high pitched whining noise coming from the engine compartment. The sound tends to cycle on and off. Whenever the sound starts up, it steadily escalates in pitch for a couple of seconds and then cuts off again. It sort of sounds like a whining/whistling sound.

It's not very loud, but clearly audible when I'm not playing the radio loud enough to drown it out. What I mean to say is that it's not a super loud sound, which is one of the reasons why I'm not 100% sure whether or not it's a problem.

It doesn't sound like a normal car sound to me, as none of my previous cars have made this sound.

Should I take it into the dealer and have them look at it?

I bought the TSX partly because of its class leading reliability (and because the old car it replaces was in the shop all the time), so I can't tell you how frustrated I'm going to be if my brand new Acura ends up back in the shop before I've owned it for a whole week.

</></>
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();
</>Edited by: gremmy

Old 04-17-2008, 11:11 PM

yup it sounds like the ac compresser clutch is bad.

get it looked at asap if you toss a belt it may leave you stranded.

i would think every thing on a 2008 would be under warantee.

any chance you hit something right befor the noise started???

Old 04-17-2008, 11:50 PM

</>Nope I haven't hit anything. I've only owned the car for a week and my driving has been very mild indeed.

This is quite the bummer, I must say. I'll see if they'll look at it tomorrow since I'm off work.

A brand new car shouldn't be having problems like this. The only reason I dropped 30K on a new car was because I wanted to avoid the repair shop for the next 5 years. This whole mess makes me think I should have just kept my junker.I don't mean to rant, butI'm so flippin' tired of being in the repair shop.

</>
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();
</>Edited by: gremmy

Old 04-18-2008, 01:15 AM

One more thing: the sound is very faint. I'm not sure if I communicated that clearly in my first post. To give you an idea for how faint it is, if I didn't point the sound out to my wife, she probably wouldn't have heard it at all.

I can hear it. And now that I've pointed it out to my wife, she can hear it too. So the sound is *there*, but it's *faint*.

Is it possible for a badac compressor clutch to be so faint?