TL Acura's mid level luxury sedan puts the emphasis on creature comforts, without compromising class leading performance...

TL TYPE-S or BMW 328xi ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 07:39 PM

which one would you guys choose?

Old 08-26-2007, 04:59 AM

having worked on BMW's

I would choose any acura/honda over it.

and dont get me started on BMW wiring.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:28 PM

Save up and buy the BMW 335i if possible.... you'll be much happier... I made the mistake of buyingan 07 TL typeS...rattles and transmission clanks at 1600 miles

Old 08-30-2007, 08:30 PM

I concur with Jayjay36. After very poor suspension performance and junk car noise at all four corners, I cannot recommend the TL until Acura fixes a problem they know about. This thing has been in the shop for a combined 8 days of about 32 for suspension rattles, and the dealer is now telling me they are normal.

I drove the 330. In the suspension department and handling, it is a way better car.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:55 PM

well honda cant win them all

and to each there own

i preffer a rattle over a electrical fire

but if a dealer is telling you thats normal then tell them to go out on there lot and show you how normal it is.

and if thats normal then there missleading you in the sale of the car.

maybe if its so normal maybe they wouldnt mind it if they took it back so you could buy that BMW.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:22 AM

Thank You Waltercbx, Not that I don't like the rest of my Acura, I just felt more secure in the reliability and integrity on the BMW ( the one I had and the ones I test drove)If it wasn't for the pricedifference, I'd be in the 335i right now. I am thankfull that I did purchase the extended warranty on the Acura... pending anything else goes wrong. Good luck ! and let me know the final results on the suspension.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:25 AM

P.S... ref wiring issues on BMW I had some 1980-1990 3,5 & 7 series. I had 1 BMW 325i with 265,000 miles that had some glitches.. Was the BMW that you had wireing issues with newer or older?

Old 08-31-2007, 03:36 PM

Pros and Cons for both. Really depends on your budget. Maintenance costs on BMW is a lot more than an TL. As far as durability, I think the TL will last longer. BMW's are great vehicles, but they do have electrical problems, which are very pricy to fix. Only real big problem TL's had was the transmission problem, that was in 2003, and that has been fixed. Overall, I would go with the TL. (This is just my opinion, but if you were to get a BMW, you should considera Lease option. Let's you get out of the car if you don't want it, and keep it if you do)

Old 08-31-2007, 08:54 PM

the electrical issues i had were with cars over 7 years of age.

IMO i dont think BMW thinks in tearms of long life when it comes to vibration protection and insulation flexability.

they are great cars and i do like the looks.

thats shape of car is what lead me to my gen 1 legend 2 door.

as far a honda/acura goes the biggest issue with there automatic transmissions is that there is no filter in them.

so the junk that formes because oils break down. stays in there and harms stuff.

30bucks buys anyones inline magnetic filter and that alone will tripple the life of that tranz.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:00 PM

Just keep in mind that the BMW is more expensive than it looks... it is real easy for one to look only at base MSRP's and figure that the BMW 328xi is way, way cheaper than the Acura TL. The Acura has many standard features that the BMW doesn't. Here are the prices to get the standard Acura features on a BMW:

BMW Common Options
leather seats: 1450
heated seats:500
power seats:995 (kind of a standard now)
xenon HID:800 (Acura has BI-xenon HIDs)

So your BMW 328xi is now 34300 + above = 38045 which matches the TL type-S.

What are the differences now?
- Acura is more powerful at 286hp when BMW has 230hp,
- Acura has a bigger engine at 3.5L when BMW has 3.0L
- BMW is more expensive to maintain
- BMW handles much better
- BMW is a smoother ride
- BMW has electrical problems
- BMW is a true luxury car (after adding 5K worth of features), as acura is a near-luxury car.

It all comes down to the money... can you afford a BMW? Here is what many people I know did... they get the BMW, then after the free-service deals wear off and the car gets some miles on it, they realize that it is very expensive to maintain- much more than they expected. So they sell it and get an Acura. If you have any second thoughts about BMW maybe being too expensive, then listen to them. Don't rationalize getting a BMW if you think it is too expensive... because the BMW has a lure... You can't resist. I can't stop staring at them myself...

Quick Reply: TL TYPE-S or BMW 328xi ?