TL Acura's mid level luxury sedan puts the emphasis on creature comforts, without compromising class leading performance...

Need help please - with my new ’00 TL

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 03:15 PM

Hello everyone. I hope you can help me because I think I may have made a mistake purchasing a 2000 TL and I'm getting paranoid about it.

I was looking for a usedCamry or an Accord. Ialways liked the look of the Acura but didn't know anything about them 'til yesterday.

I bought thisbeautiful 2000 TL yersterdaycompulsively and Inow that I learn more about the car I think I made a huge mistake. The car is very well kept and it only has 54K milesfrom the same elderly lady owner who passed away recently. The Carfax record looks good and it appears that it has been serviced regularly at the same dealer.

Here is my problem: last night I started browsing the net to learn more about the car and I'm finding out how many serious transmission problem this model from '99 to 2003 have. There are dozens if not hundreds posting of unappyowners who had transmission trouble.

I have no yet registered my new ( to me ) car and at the DMV and I'm already thinking about selling for fear that I bought a lemon car.

I would like to know what is the percentage of 1999-2003 TL owners who experienced transmission problems. I read dozens of article of unhappy ownwer who suggest to stay away from the Acura.

The Carfax report show ( and Acura Customer Service confirmed ) that my car was inspected by the dealer during the recals but no tranny was ever replaced or needed replacement. It appears that everything in the car currently works fine and I love its beauty, but I'm just scare about the potential tranny problem.

I only drove it for about 15 miles to my house and it evrything felt okay to me, with the exception that at one point while driving down a short hill the car slowed down, like if it shifted to a lower gear even thoughI wasn't touching the brakes. Istepped onthe accellerator and verything the speed was fine again. At the moment I didn't think nothing of it.

This fact would not have bother me if I didn't read all the posts aboutso many transmission problem.

WhatI would like to ask is this: what are the chances that the tranny of my car will fail in the future? Does anyone has statisatics of the number transmission failure for these years and models?

On a different topic, could someone alsosuggest how long I can go without replacing the timing belt? The car only has 54K miles but the manual says to replace it at 82 months or 110K whatever come first? The cost for the timing belt is $1200 whereI live so I'm in a rush.

Thank you very much for any advise you can give me.I love the car but I still don't know how reliable it can be. Now I need to make up my mind of what to do with it.

Peter

Old 08-27-2008, 01:10 AM

Hi Peter,

About transmission, i think it is depends on how people use and treat their car. you no need worry as long as you check fluid, etc...regularly. it will not get transmission problem. the important things is transmission fluid make sure that it is not on low level.

Timing belt you have to replace between 75k - 110k, it is my mechanic recommends. but make sure that previous owner has never replaced it yet.

Another suggest is change engine oil every 3 months or 5k. it will be good, enjoy your ride.

Edited by: andry

Old 08-27-2008, 09:25 AM

#1 - Carfax is notoriously unreliable. It can serve as a backup for information on the car, but I would not depend on it as my primary source of information on the history of the car.
#2 - Did you get all the service records from the dealer? That is your best indication that the car has been maintained according to the maintenance schedule.
#3 - If the tranny issue is really a concern for you, and you can't afford to replace it outright, buy an extended warranty from a reputable source.
#4 - Relax and enjoy the car - they are terrific. If your second thoughts are consuming you - take it back to the dealer. Most states have a 48-72 hour law that allows you to return a major purchase. Of course the dealer will put you through hell to give it back to them, so I'd suggest investigating the law in your state before you do it.
#5 - On the timing belt - just follow the manufacturer recommendation. I just replaced mine on my 96 TL this year at 95K miles (a bit outside the recommendation time-wise!).
#6 - Relax and enjoy the car!

Old 08-27-2008, 11:06 AM

Thank you guys. I bought the car from a private person. This young girl and the husband enherited the car from her grandmother who passed away few months ago. The grandmother was the only driver I think. The carfax report shows that the vehicle was serviced but at the dealer but doesn't specify. For example it shows that in 10/06 it says : Vehicle serviced, rear brakes serviced/adjusted, washed detailed, manufacture's recommendation maintenance performed, Safety inspection performed.

Then, the last record of June 08 show: Vehicle serviced, Washed detailed. All the services were done at the same dealer. I called the dealer and they would give me the records if i can prove i'm the new owner. I also called Acura and I was told that all recalls have been performed.

Here is another thing: the transmission fluid was replaced at 30K miles when they inspected the tranny recalls. Now the car has 54K but if appear that the fluid is king of pinky yealloy, not red. ShouldI reaplce it prematurely?

About the tranny insurance I think it is a good idea and I will enquire about it. The car looks almost like new and drive wonderfully so I hate selling it now.

Thank you again,

Pier

Old 09-02-2008, 09:30 PM

go to your dealer right now while the tranny is still good, talk to them about the 7 year (might be less, cant remember) 100,700 mile warranty on the tranny and have them acknowledge it. if anything goes wrong in the future, just say it to them.
probably wont happen to you, the reason you see so much people with problems is that theyre online. and well, a TL is a old person's car, old people dont modify much, so there's no reason they get online. the only reason they WOULD get on is if something happens to them. so out of the tens of thousands of TLs that gets sold, a few gets lemons and they go online to seek help. then they all converge into a forum and you see the problem. but really, it's not that bad

Old 03-25-2011, 03:35 PM

i have a 2000 Acura TL for a year and had similar trouble when i bought it and it had gotten worse then the tranny went up. now i have the same problem with the downhill shifting and i was told to replace the solenoid shift assembly i ordered parts and waiting to install. i will repost and let you know

Old 05-18-2013, 07:22 AM

I have a 2000 TL and i read the same thing about the transmissions. Not to worried when it happen it happens. I have a friend that owns a transmission used parts business and he looked at the bar code on the trans. and he told me a pin in third gear in these falls out and then its toast. Rebuild is expensive if you don't have the right friends.