TL Acura's mid level luxury sedan puts the emphasis on creature comforts, without compromising class leading performance...

humming noise from my passenger side front wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default humming noise from my passenger side front wheel.

it almost sounds like driving an manual and not shifting. the noise is correlative to the speed at which im driving. its loud. not sure what it is. wheel bearning maybe? they only time i get feedback in the steering wheel is when im breaking and thats only at speeds excess of 40+mph. but thats the only noise so far. any thoughts?

Old 06-18-2012, 08:24 AM

Two or 3 possibilities come to mind.
1. Tires getting old and noisy. Swap the front tires side to side to see if the noise follows the change.
2. Worn wheel bearing - Assuming the passenger side is on the right (i.e. not U.K.), if you turn the car had to the left while driving at speed, the noise should get noticeably louder coming from that wheel. Find a tight fast left hand sweeping turn to put a load on the right front wheel to see what happens.
3. Drive shaft constant velocity (CV) joint wearing. Process of elimination from the other problems.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

tires only have about 10,000 miles on them and are in good shape. turned out to be the wheel bearing. got that changed, the noise is gone but at highway miles i get a bit of feedback at the steering wheel, its been like this before and after changing the wheel bearing, also the transmission stutters between 2nd and 3rd. its got a rebuilt honda trans, 80,000 miles on it since its been put in the tl. any ideas?

Old 06-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Default Ideas....

On the steering feedback, not sure what you are experiencing, but if you haven't had an alignment recently, it might be a good idea. Get the wheels re-balanced too, even though they only have 10K miles.

On the tranny, assuming its an automatic, suggest changing the AT fluid and changing the filter in the tranny. At 80K since installation, it is probably a good time to do that (and the filter probably wasn't changed when it was pulled from its donor car).

Old 06-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Alignment is a good call. Is the car lowered at all?

Also, check your tire pressures (cold) to make sure they are even.

For the transmission, flush the fluid and refill with OE Honda fluid.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Newest Of Newbies

the car isn't lowered. but i'll the trans filter and flushed, seeing that its about that time anyway.

the feedback is a vibration in the steering wheel that when brakeing, the intensity picks up quite a bit. also it vibrates at highway speeds when cruising.

i really appreciate all the feedback and the help. its my first acura and i really want to take care of this car.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Default The vibration you are experiencing sounds like....

warped brake rotors. You need to have your front brake rotors turned (or replaced if thickness is lower than tolerance). Might as well replace the brake pads and I would also suggest a brake fluid flush too. I just did this on my 1996 TL with 117K miles.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Administrator :
Talking Good Info

Originally Posted by jg atl
warped brake rotors. You need to have your front brake rotors turned (or replaced if thickness is lower than tolerance). Might as well replace the brake pads and I would also suggest a brake fluid flush too. I just did this on my 1996 TL with 117K miles.
Good info jg..same suggestion come from me also..

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

thanks i'll get that check out, brake pads need changing anyway.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:56 PM

Drive shaft constant velocity (CV) joint wearing. Process of elimination from the other problems.

Quick Reply: humming noise from my passenger side front wheel.