TL Acura's mid level luxury sedan puts the emphasis on creature comforts, without compromising class leading performance...

HELP! 2012 TL FWD or SH-AWD???

Old 08-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Default HELP! 2012 TL FWD or SH-AWD???

Hi all,

New to the forums. Been really racking my brain here and looking for some advice from some savvy TL owners. I live in Chicago, IL and am looking to make the leap to an Acura TL. I'm definitely going with the Tech Package (cuz who wouldn't) but am really on the fence about FWD vs. SH-AWD.

Obviously cost is a factor and if I can save the ~ $3k that's definitely a benefit. But am I going to really despise the drive in the rain and snow of the FWD? Or would a good set of tires offset the difference?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

SB

Old 08-19-2012, 12:07 AM

Buckster,

I am from north vancouver bc, in canada. Our winters aren't harsh but we get a lot of rain and sometimes snow. My most recent cars have been an 08 Accord fwd and an 04 EL fwd and now a 2012 TL sh-awd. Both the Accord and El lost grip in the corners on any slippery surface. The 2 front wheels would pull the car in to the the turn and then lose grip midway through the turn, with almost no grip when accelerating out of the turn. I have never lost control of the vehicle, you just slide through the turn with a little less control. Both cars had Nokians directional all weather, great tires, but tires cannot negate the physics effecting wheels spinning and steering at the same time.

As the TL enters a turn, if necessary it gives the rear wheels power to push through the turn and takes the load off the front wheels. I have watched the sh-awd monitor as I go through a slippery turn, I can't remember if it shifts the most power to the inside or outside rear, either way, It shoots you out of the corner no problem.

In my opinion it is worth it, I know the car is a bit pricy already, but in dry conditions I also notice a huge difference. It handles really well for a mothership of a sedan.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:10 AM

Morning! I can't really speak to the AWD YET....I just picked up my 2012 SH-AWD. I've had a 99, 02, 03 TL and now the 12......

I still have the 02 Type-S as my winter car, but will probably get rid of it...Traded my 06 Mercedes CLK convertible (Sad), but I love the TL.

I'll report back with the findings on the AWD.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:17 AM

Thanks for the replies all! I realized I never responded with my outcome. Apologies. I ended up picking up a 2012 TL Tech FWD (Silver Moon // Ebony). The deal was too good to pass up at 33k. The AWD would have cost me about 3.5k more and while that isn't a lot at all for the SH-AWD, i went the price conscious route as the deal was just too amazing.

Initial impressions -

Dry conditions: Great turning with a little bit of slippage taking a corner at higher speeds
Wet conditions: Good turning with a little less traction around the corner
Snow: None to speak of yet (knock on wood)

Would life in the rain / snow be a bit better with the AWD, most certainly. Do I regret the purchase? At that price heck no! Glad to be a member of the forums.