RSX Acura's entry into the sport compact class combines high horsepower and cutting edge suspension to give the driver the feel of a race ready sports car...

General mechanic ?s

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 10:20 AM

If someone could assist me that would be greatly appreciated. I have a question about my 03 Rsx Type S with about 85k miles. When it is cold like about 40 degrees (F) or lower, my car makes a sound when I first start it. The best way I can describe this sound is it sounds like a gear grinding. I do not think it is a gear grinding bc it is in neutral when I start it of course, and it does not happen every single time. This noise lasts for about 2 seconds, and does not ever happen again. Literally, it only does it when I first start my vehicle, not every single time. I have noticed my car does not make that noise when the temperature is warmer outside. Now, I have notice maybe a couple of times my car made that noise when it was about 40 to 50 degrees outside. Majority of the time my car will not make that sound when it is warmer. I will call an Acura dealership and other mechanics to get their opinions also, and get it checked out and repaired. In the mean time, has anyone experienced this with their RSX or could could anyone at all tell me what might be possibly causing this? Could it be something with the clutch, transmission, suspension, or starter? I know it is difficult without looking at the vehicle and checking it out, but with the detailed explanation what is most likely the problem? Thank you.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:11 AM

hmmm well your oil may be to thick for the cold mornings.

may need to look into that a bit.

that noise is more than likely your upper valve train starving of oil till pressure starts up.

i bet it makes the exact same noise when you first start it up after a oil and filter change.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:13 PM

Hello,

My car does the same thing that yours does when it is cold out and doesnt do this all the time. I took the car to the shop and they were not able to duplicate it and it explained it doesnt happen all the time just some of the time

Old 02-23-2009, 01:17 PM

i would do a full synthetic oil change and see if it cures it.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:35 PM

thats the only oil i use in my car is synethic

Old 02-23-2009, 02:49 PM

how is the condition of the power steering fluid?

is there any way you could take off the power steering belt and let this thing sit over night.

then do a cold start up and see if the noise is gone?

if it is put that belt back and see if it comes back.

its a easy test that will tell us if its the engine or a accessory.