RL Acura's 300HP All Wheel Drive luxury sedan...

(DIY) Bleeding the Calipers on a '99 RL

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Going To Be A Moderator Soon !
Default (DIY) Bleeding the Calipers on a '99 RL

Hello again keepers of the Acura faith!

I neglected to mention that I also bled the brake calipers on the '99 RL so for those who are interested in performing this essential service on your RL, listen (or read) up!

Note: When bleeding the brakes, air may be trapped in the brake lines or valves far upstream, as much as 10 feet from the bleeder screw. Therefore, it is very important to have a fast flow of a large volume of brake fluid when bleeding the brakes, to make sure all of the air is expelled from the system.

Proper manual bleeding of the hydraulic brake system will require the use of an assistant.

1) Attach a clear plastic hose to the bleeder screw, then place the hose into a clean jar that has enough fresh brake fluid to submerge the end of the hose.

2) Have an assistant pump the brake pedal 3-4 times, and hold it down before the bleeder screw is opened.

3) Open the bleeder screw at least one full turn (refer to ref #2 in this diagram) . When the bleeder screw opens, the brake pedal will drop.

4) Close the bleeder screw. Release the brake pedal only AFTER the bleeder screw is closed.

5) Repeat the procedure 4 or 5 times at each bleeder screw, then check the pedal for travel. If the pedal travel is not excessive, or has not been improved, enough fluid has not passed through the system to expel all of the trapped air. Make sure to watch the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir. It must stay at the proper level so air will not re-enter the brake system.

6) Test drive the vehicle to be sure the brakes are operating correctly and that the pedal is solid.

Constantly check and refill the master cylinder. Do not allow the master cylinder to run dry.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:32 AM
Administrator :
Thumbs up Hello Member

Thanks for your good post..I know it will help some one down the road in here later.

by the way, I like your by line at the bottom..made me chuckle

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails (DIY) Bleeding the Calipers on a '99 RL-securedownloadgi%7Es.jpg  
Old 09-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Going To Be A Moderator Soon !

Wheelbrokerang,

You're most certainly welcome I figured that if I didn't share some insights from my livelihood with a community of Acura enthusiasts then what kind of Acura enthusiast would I be? (hint: a selfish one )

And I've always loved that quote too!

Old 10-03-2011, 10:13 PM

teh acua rl is a.powerful spots machine.the v6 engine purrs like a crazy dog and the interiors is to nice for many people.my uncle has one a long tim ago and i looooved riding in it.unbelieble power!Jermaine Clarksun would loves it!

Old 10-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Administrator :
Talking

Originally Posted by CarCrazy6666
teh acua rl is a.powerful spots machine.the v6 engine purrs like a crazy dog and the interiors is to nice for many people.my uncle has one a long tim ago and i looooved riding in it.unbelieble power!Jermaine Clarksun would loves it!
That is good to know :0
By the way I took out your Ad...