Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic... just about anything goes...

Does power to weight ratios matter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:20 PM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
To answer my own question... HELL YEAH! Well, lets keep it real and also include driver talent and handling of the vehicle. Lets face it, if we don't include all the factors that make a fast car then power to weight ratios really don't factor too well.

But, to stay within that subject of power to weightlets all pretend that we are all top fuel racers of the drag strip and road courses and that handling is not an issue... This is just to keep it in perspective. I've had this debate with American muscle car guys and it always ends up with them trashing the imports that we love, considering I've never trashed any car that has power. Import or not. I tip my hat to any vehicle that has a lot of get up and go.

When it comes to horse power and torque there is no question thatif the cars have equal weight and power that there is a toss up of a coin as to who would win in that particular event. That's exciting! It's a real race of wits and talent to see the carsget off the line, rocketing to the 1/4 mile to see which one makes it to themark first. That gets my blood reved up with anticipation and glee to see who would win.

When it comes to equal horse power and weight differences, though,that's where the bloodflow slows for me.Now, keeping in mind that we are all top fuel racers, here's my theory. The lighter car will win in that particular race. Again, keeping in perspective that we are all top racers. My past debateswith muscle car guys always ends with them saying "that there is no replacement for displacement, V8s RULE!"... All true until you tell them that the inline 6 engines from Nissan andToyota, and lets not forget the engine that's in the NSX,puts out as much power on lighterbodies. Even Subaru and Mitsubishi products put out as much. We all know which cars they are! LOL! Any way, it seems that those guys are in denial or some thing 'causethey don't give respect to the imports that have already proven them selves on track. It's true that there is no replacement for displacement butwhen you can put that displacement in a light body... man, thatisawsome!

We're all tech heads here and the savy know what I mean. I don't see the reason to get all technical and riddle this topic with facts and figures that would confuse and belittle those that wouldn't understand. That's not my intention and that's whyI've kept it general.

Sorry,I don't mean to be so long on these topics but these debates go on for me from time to time and getting my point across tothese guysgets difficult when they are all about their V8s and their big blocks, and such. I know that they are visiting these types of forums and that it would benefit them to open their minds to the imports some. To eachhis own, though.They make it seem as if I'm trashing on American cars. I'm not, though. I like a well made car, be itAmerican, Japanese or European. Kia, Hyundai and Daewoo excluded... if there are others in that category, I don't know. I guess, for fun, we can make a list of non tuneable non-Japanesecars that kinda' suck. ( I'm guilty of car brand bashing again!) If I got a Chevy for free from some one it would not be turned away. It would be my beater car, but definately not turned away. And I would care for it like my import... diligently and lovingly.

Again, forgive how long these topics of mine are. If there is some one who disagrees with me on this topic I am more than willing to attend an informational debate with you. I am fair and learn from myerrors when it is brought to my attention. I'm not perfect. I just like a good debate with learned people. It's good for the soul and the mind.
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();
</>