Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic... just about anything goes...

Acura MDX 2020 likely damaged in tunnel car wash

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 10:03 PM
Default Acura MDX 2020 likely damaged in tunnel car wash

Typically, I avoid buying brand new vehicles given that I am very finnicky and would get very upset, angry and distressed in case I found that out that the car got damaged during a routing trip to the grocery store. If the car is relatively new -- but not necessarily brand new -- it is still feels very upsetting and distressing, but it does not feel as bad.

Currently, I have three vehicles: a brand new 2023 Chevy Bolt; an old, but still in great shape, and with very low miles, 2013 chevy Volt; and a relatively new 2020 Acura MDX with Technology package. Also, I drive very little; maybe 200 miles per month on average with my vehicles combined (mostly with my chevy volt).

Today (07/11/23) I decided to go out with my Acura MDX for some errands. The Acura has been in the garage for the last three weeks and haven't been driven during that time; so, I am positive that the vehicle was in perfect shape for the last days. Firstly, I went to the DMV and the parking lot was almost empty, but I still parked far away for good measure; and spent maybe 45 minutes there. Afterwards, I stopped by at a relatively small mall and went to a "Big Lots" store to buy some stuff; and, as usual, I parked far away from other vehicles, etc, and the mall was kind of slow anyways. Subsequently, I stopped by at local medium size grocery store (Aldi) and same type of situation and scenario as the one at the "Big Lots" store. Once I was done with the groceries, I went to a tunnel car wash nearby -- "Moo Moo" car wash in Pickerington, OH.

Apparently, the car washing process went without any incident with one exception (which I did not associate with any possible type of damage to my vehicle): twice the whole car wash tunnel stopped for maybe 1 minutes each time and an alarm sounded off inside the car wash tunnel both times. Once I arrived home, I could not help but notice large and deep scratches (more like grooves really) in the left fender and going all the way to the front fascia/bumper and the deep elongated scratch in the left side of the front fascia/bumper went for about 2 feet in length. Those are very large and deep scratches that likely were created by some strong mechanical arm that went around the fender and to the front fascia. The types of mechanical arms one would find in a tunnel car wash.

That is a significant amount of cosmetic damage that one would not expect to take place in a car wash (never going to use tunnel car washes ever again). It significantly tainted and ruined the appearance of an otherwise nice and relatively new vehicle that was in an almost impeccable state and condition. Unneeded to say, that is an extremely distressful and disturbing situation.

Any insights on how to approach this situation would be welcome.