New Member Area New to Acura Forum? Stop in tell us about you...

I'm a DSM'r

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Default I'm a DSM'r

Hello, my name is Mitch. I'm a DSM enthusiast and I own a 1991 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD. I love it, but it breaks so I needed a ride. I'm usually on dsmtuners.com with the same display name. I just purchased a 1987 Acura Integra LS. I think it has a B18 but I'm not sure. I bought it for $700 as a daily driver because DSM's break. The Integra has 130,000 miles and a slight oil leak. It needs a new fender/blinker light from a crash but it's not like you think. The whole area between the tail lights needs to be replaced due the massive rust hole. Haha I must say it looks like poop but it drives nice, despite the oil leak which I'm pissed about because the guy told me it didn't leak. The interior is good besides the blinker stick on the steering column broke off so the guy decided to use a bolt. Its pretty funny though. Once I get some mods done to the talon I'm debating buying a $500 turbo kit from ebay and slapping it on. Since it's a Honda I'm hoping it lives up to the word of "it runs forever"...

Old 05-03-2009, 12:24 AM

you have a browntop D16A1 engine in your integra, not a B18. Boost is a REALLY bad idea. That engine has virtually no aftermarket support for a reason, it's pointless to tune. But it will serve a critical role in the progression of your DSM. It will get you to the parts store and back as you continue to break parts on your way to big power. My best friend has a 91 talon awd. your right, as the boost goes up stuff breaks. don't tune the integra. Picture this: you get the talon runnin SWEET on friday, mash on it all weekend with a big *** grin on your face, then can't get it to start on Monday. At this point, sure would be nice to have a backup car that didn't have a blown motor from some crap *** e-bay turbo wouldn't it?

Last edited by AKinDen; 05-03-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by AKinDen
you have a browntop D16A1 engine in your integra, not a B18. Boost is a REALLY bad idea. That engine has virtually no aftermarket support for a reason, it's pointless to tune. But it will serve a critical role in the progression of your DSM. It will get you to the parts store and back as you continue to break parts on your way to big power. My best friend has a 91 talon awd. your right, as the boost goes up stuff breaks. don't tune the integra. Picture this: you get the talon runnin SWEET on friday, mash on it all weekend with a big *** grin on your face, then can't get it to start on Monday. At this point, sure would be nice to have a backup car that didn't have a blown motor from some crap *** e-bay turbo wouldn't it?
Thank you. It's a 1.6L right? I read some stuff on wikipedia but I just want to make sure.
So the D16 is nothing special? I just figured since it's a Honda it would be ok to run 8psi.
Having a DD is mainly why I bought it ha. Even if I did have $500 to drop on a turbo kit I would end up buying something for the DSM to make it go! Ha such a selection of parts I could buy for it.
What MPG can I expect from this motor if I baby it?

But thanks for your words. I wont be boostin' it.

Edit: I have another question. I searched "D16A1 any good?" on google just to see what would come up. I came across people swapping a d16 in for their previous motor. So they have some potential?

Last edited by mindset; 05-03-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:27 PM

The D16 engine code can be kinda confusing. for the most part, Honda/Acura engine codes are pretty straight forward. the letter D, which is a series. followed by a number 16, which is displacement(put a period in between the numbers 1.6L). and the last two A1, generation of the motor. all Honda/Acura engine codes work like that. The d16 that people were swapping in was probably a d16y8. that's a 1.6l single cam motor w/vtec found in the 96-00 civic ex. the d16a1 is an obd0 engine, the Y8 is obd2. Enjoy this car for what it is stock from the factory. don't even bother with an intake. make sure the oil is topped off! now, on to your DSM. My friend gets his work done from ETS out of oregon. those guys can do voodoo on the 4g63. go to youtube and type "lucas english" then go to all videos. check out jeff bushes 950hp dual fuel rail GSX runnin on E-85. ETS is Extreme Turbo Systems. also google English Racing or Lucas English Racing. let me know what you think.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Administrator :
Smile Hello Member:

Thanks for posting with us...looks as tho youl stick around with us for awhile...
Thanks

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails I'm a DSM'r-cavaliers2_805921_nba_5z.jpg  

Last edited by WheelBrokerAng; 05-06-2009 at 06:43 PM.