MDX Acura's compact yet versatile All Wheel Drive Sport Utility Vehicle...

Are winter tires important for the MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 12:35 PM

Hi all,

I just bought an MDX a couple of days ago and will be picking it up tomorrow. I'm just wondering if it's worthwhile getting a set of winter tires or if the tires that come with it are fine for the winter season. I live up in Ontario, Canada, so we get a bit of snow...not as much as Siberia, but still a fair bit in the Winter season.

Winter's pretty much done here (at least it seems so for now) so I'm not going to bother right now, but I wondered about for next year. I've never owned an SUV before the MDX so pardon any ignorance on my part.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-11-2009, 01:19 PM

i would pick up a set of 4 matching agressive winter tires, but i wouldnt do it till the next winter season hits.

rember you have tire pressure sensors on that vehicle.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by acuralegend
i would pick up a set of 4 matching agressive winter tires, but i wouldnt do it till the next winter season hits.

rember you have tire pressure sensors on that vehicle.
Yeah that's what I was wondering, whether the tire pressure sensors take away the need for winter tires or not. Obviously if I can save $1,000 or so, I'd like to, but I obviously don't want to get into an accident and bang up my new baby, so I'll save up for a set of winter tires for next season.

There's a local autoshop chain that will change your tires from all-season to winter and then back again for free if you buy the winter tires with the rims. Very very shady company, I've had problems with them with my old car - they ended up not giving back the tires with the rims and I had no idea until I took the tires out of the trunk, and they didn't want to reimburse me for the lost rims, and said that the particular location I went to is now under new management and got rid of their old system and records, so I talked to the head office and they agreed to pay for most of the new rims, but I still had to pay a few hundred, which is outrageous considering it was THEIR FAULT.

But as long as I'm careful and MAKE SURE they give me my tires with rims, it's a pretty good deal I guess.

But anywho, thanks for the advice, I'll get some aggressive winter tires next winter season. Any brand you recommend? Michelin? Yokohama? Good Year? I'm particular to Yokohamas, that's what I have on my old car and love em', but it's a sedan and I'm not sure if Yokohama is as great with tires for SUVs.

Cheers and thanks for the quick response! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]