Legend This long running platform offered buyers both a coupe and sedan with a combination of luxury and performance...

RPM Jumping NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 03:09 AM

Hi all
I have a 1992 Acura Legend LS and I'm facing following problems
1. In a cold start the RPM keep jumping between 1500rpm to 2000rpm, I did check the coolant level its appropriate.
2. The temperature gauge is acting strange, sometimes it shoots up to the full mark then another minute it comes back to normal
3. Heater sometimes blows hot air sometimes cold
4. Trunk opener not working, checked all the fuses, all good, if any other idea available about it please specify the location where to look in the car.
5. Right side speaker of the BOSE system sometimes makes weird noise but it comes back to normal after sometime.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:27 PM

1: most likely idle air control or throttle issues

2: sensor, but most likely you have air in the coolant system becauseyou didn't fill it properly.. (always massage your upper radiator hose til the fluid in the radiator stoppes dropping)... air's trapped where the thermastat or engine coolant sensor is... coolant is like hydralics.. air prevents correct flow

3: the cold air coming from the heater isn't cold air, it's room temperature... meaning your heatercoil is going out or fuse for heater... etc. or it could be a relay, but that should prevent it from working at all

4: loose connection, messed up wired, shorted wire, or the latch on the back

5: connections, the stereo, or a fuse.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:27 AM

Theres a switch in my glovebox that turns the trunk opener on and off.....check it out

Old 11-25-2008, 03:03 AM

At cold start when the rpm's rev up and down is because of air in the cooling system. Don't drive your car like that because you will have a blown head gasket. This is what I've done with my 92 Legend. Remove radiator cap and drain antifreeze from radiator completely. Then refill with fresh antifreeze, with the radiator cap off turn on your car and let it run until the temp gauge is at normal temperature. Look for the fans that goeson. Open the bleeder valve and bleed the system should be a stream this releases the air in your system. Then cap everything back on and drive it normally. You shouldn't have that idle problem or overheat. Enough air in the system will overheat your engine, and if engine overheats it can damage the head gaskets.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:52 AM
Default Engine Surge

While driving my 99 RL the engine surges between 50 and 60 MPH.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by f.fowler
While driving my 99 RL the engine surges between 50 and 60 MPH.
seams like you have air in your system try to bleed it.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:39 AM

Hi i'm new here and have an 89 integra and I am having problems bleeding the coolant system which I think is causing it to overheat.
The radiator has the goofy looking fill neck which traps air.
What is the best way to bleed the air out of the systemThanks

Old 07-07-2009, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Afireinside
Hi i'm new here and have an 89 integra and I am having problems bleeding the coolant system which I think is causing it to overheat.
The radiator has the goofy looking fill neck which traps air.
What is the best way to bleed the air out of the systemThanks
there should be a bleeder valve on it and if it has over heated then you will want to replace the t stat.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by bravo659
At cold start when the rpm's rev up and down is because of air in the cooling system. Don't drive your car like that because you will have a blown head gasket. This is what I've done with my 92 Legend. Remove radiator cap and drain antifreeze from radiator completely. Then refill with fresh antifreeze, with the radiator cap off turn on your car and let it run until the temp gauge is at normal temperature. Look for the fans that goeson. Open the bleeder valve and bleed the system should be a stream this releases the air in your system. Then cap everything back on and drive it normally. You shouldn't have that idle problem or overheat. Enough air in the system will overheat your engine, and if engine overheats it can damage the head gaskets.
Bump. +1. And it seems like you have air in your system. Try to bleed it. And like gift845 said, check the switch in the glovebox that turns the trunk opener on and off.