Legend This long running platform offered buyers both a coupe and sedan with a combination of luxury and performance...

Radiator Issue!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 10:56 AM

I have a 92 Legend Sedan that seems to be loosing coolant somewhere.After driving for a day and letting here sit overnight, the fluid is low in the radiator but all of it has drained to the resv. tank. This happens everyday and I normally just pour the fluid from theresv. tank back in the radiator and never have a problem. The car sits in my driveway & there are no leaks on the ground at all. I do notice that when you open the rad. cap, it's white around the inside of the rad. The rad. was changed a few months ago andI just changed the thmstat. on 7/22/08. All fans work and she dosen't overheat at all, I'm just concerned that this will lead to some major problem that I'm really not ready to pay for. I've already been told that this is a major problem that will cost me a fortune. Any advice?Edited by: nylegend

Old 09-16-2008, 11:06 AM

It sounds like your Rad cap is not sealing. When the engine cools it's pulling air though the cap instead of pulling coolant from the expansion tank.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:12 PM

Dave 91- I appreciate your reply, but the worst has been confirmed. These cars are notorious for it & now I have it, BHG![img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img] Now i'm looking at replacing the whole motor. I'm looking @ swaping mines for a Type 2, or a RL.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:37 PM

what was it exactly that happened.

i joined here cuz i'm about to buy a crap legend and i want to know some of the common issues they have.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:39 PM

Hi,

I joined this forum a few months back asking a similar question regarding my 91 Legend. I was told by my mechanic that I had to replace the header. I had read on the forum that sometimes is the rad cap.

So while I was deciding what to do I was using the car sparingly and checking the fluids every day and making sure the rad was filled, so I lost the cap one day when taking it off, put a new cap on and problem is solved.

I’ve meant to come back here and post, guess I was being superstitious that I was looking at $1800 and stupid new cap solved the problem and didn’t want to jinks it, its been 3 months now so I guess I’m safe lol.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:53 PM

i would have a combustable gas leak test perfomed on the coolant system. its a fast test and will tell you if your repair is about to be $2000-$2500 or a $20 part.
it will also tell you if you have a very small exhaust leak into the coolant system.

also keep a eye on you engine oil level make sure it doesnt gain in level.