Legend This long running platform offered buyers both a coupe and sedan with a combination of luxury and performance...

legend smoking

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 06:06 PM

I had recently bought a Gen 291 Ac Legend,,L 134Kdid not find out about the forum or about Legend BHG problems. I just liked the car so much. I bought as a project. Its started smoking white smokes on startup for a about 10-15 minutes,then lessens afterward. I am not loosing radiator fluids, nor have a heating problem( minor radiator hose leakage) after buying the car. Doesn't feel like I am burning too much oil, I suspect I have a leaky Valve problem., most mechanics want to do a valve job for >$1000.00. The car had been sitting in the previous owners driveway for over 2 years, not running ,I suspect the Valve guides have/are drying up, one mechanic told me to drive it around often and change the oil often, use valve conditioners as well, go to heavieroil to dec. the oil consumption. The car drives great except for the smokes, dont want to put too much into it. Tell what you all think. Edited by: legendiary

Old 11-03-2007, 07:01 AM

The 91 legend is now running good, still smokes once in a while on start up, I ve been having a coolant leak fom my hoses ,had to replace the heater core bypass hose, lower+ pretty soon upper radiator hose, throttle body bypass hose, I dont know how many more rubber hoses that I have left to replace as the car had been sitting on the previous owner's driveway for 2 yrs, not driven ,alot of the pressurize hoses have leaks in them now, what other hoses left should I check and replace??

Old 11-03-2007, 06:20 PM

welcome to the forums.I've never wrenched ona legend so i'm not sure on the smoke and the hoses [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]But some of our members are experts on your car. They are busy people (aren't we all!) so they only log on once in a while and answer dozens of question in a day. Hopefully they will be back soon. good luck [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Old 11-15-2007, 11:38 PM

I have a 93 acura legend 4 door I put a new battery on the car and now it's asking me for a code for the radio please if any 1 out knows how i can get the code please email me at franciscoreyes26@yahoo.com thank you

Old 11-19-2007, 06:51 PM

hey whats up. i had da same smokey problem in my 91 and i was told my gasket was going, but took it to my acura machanic he told me a lot of them do that. To this day a year after i had it it still does that then goes away once care is warm. But during da summer days it doesn"t smoke, very little. Also change all pressure hose, they can go at anytime trust me they caught my on 95 like that[img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img] but i had some extra hose to replace them[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]. hope dat help

Old 12-10-2007, 10:05 AM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();</>most acuras smoke, once they warm up there ok. always let ur car warm b 4 taking off, and only use rec amended oil

Old 12-16-2007, 08:37 AM

smoke when cold and no smoke when hot is a sign of valve guides with excessive wear.

you cold have stem seals installed. but thats only a short term fix at best.

most likely its head rebuild time
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 02-14-2008, 10:25 PM

Today My Legend is running great, smokes on start up then goes away, looking to buy another for $1,300 near this area. then fixing it up. I have extra engine and tranny which I got for 200 from a wreck already to go. Thanks to all.
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 03-27-2008, 01:57 AM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
Hi.

I have a 91 Legend LS Sedan. I got in great condition last summer havent a single problem. I got it below market value for my area. When I got it my mechanic told me of the gasket probelm with the acura smoking. So I figured if I had to do it I would still be slightly below market value.

About 2 weeks ago I noticed the smoke when warming up the car then about a week ago the car started running hot. Whats happening is my radiator fluid is going over the spill tank. Spill tank is filled up no fluid in the rad when the car is running hot. My mechanic informed me its the head gasket. What I am curious about is how much the job should cost me.

Thanks in advance.
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 03-28-2008, 02:57 PM

&lt; src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/&gt; </>if its running hot check for air in the system bleed it out it my take some time if that dont work it could be a blown head gasket! Mine was blown only on the exaust side!With smoke thats vavle guides and its cost to get them done but to me it will be well worth it as i own 5 legends not counting my parts cars!&lt; =text/&gt; _uacct = "UA-939292-41"; urchinTracker(); </>
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();
</>Edited by: L3GDKANG/JDM-KA

Quick Reply: legend smoking