Legend This long running platform offered buyers both a coupe and sedan with a combination of luxury and performance...

91 Legend LS 4D

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 06:27 PM

I don't know I install the Thermostat correct or not but now the temp gauge didn't move at all. The thermostat have a spring....I point to spring to the engine side is that correct? or it point to the hose?

Another question. I noted there is a lot white smoke come out from the exhaust when I start the car in the morning (temp about 45 degree) I let the car run about 5min the smoke seem to be gone. Is that normal or something wrong with the engine?

Thanks

Last edited by L3GDKANG/JDM-KA; 04-07-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:17 PM

the t stat is in right. did they give you the right t stat? the legend 1's will have a lil pin looking thing on the side by the spring that's a relief valve. did you get a gasket with the valave? the white smoke could be valve seats on the heads but not sure until we get the t stat thing cleared up.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by L3GDKANG/JDM-KA
the t stat is in right. did they give you the right t stat? the legend 1's will have a lil pin looking thing on the side by the spring that's a relief valve. did you get a gasket with the valave? the white smoke could be valve seats on the heads but not sure until we get the t stat thing cleared up.
I don't know how but the thermotat make my car over heat today. I have remove the thermotat so I able to drive it home. Now the engine have a click click sound and white smoke come out the exhaust. Look like it gonna cost me money the fix it.

I attach the picture of the thermotat, so you can tell I got the right one or not.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Old 04-08-2009, 09:21 PM

i cant tell fromt hat pic can you get a pic of the front of it not the spring part but the other side.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:17 AM

i cant tell fromt hat pic can you get a pic of the front of it not the spring part but the other side.
Here is the link with more pictures.

http://picasaweb.google.com/AnhDuong...eat=directlink

Old 04-09-2009, 08:37 AM

thats the right t stat. now if you dont have colant in the oil the headgasket might be blown on the exast side mine was blown like that. find a place to see if they can do a test on it for you.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:23 PM

if that is the right Thermostat how come the water didn't go through and it make the engine hot.
If the head gasket blown. Do you know how much it gonna cost the repair it?

Thanks

Last edited by L3GDKANG/JDM-KA; 04-09-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by 91LegendLS
if that is the right Thermostat how come the water didn't go through and it make the engine hot.
If the head gasket blown. Do you know how much it gonna cost the repair it?

Thanks
even if you buy a new t stat they can still be messed up or even broken ive gotten alot of them b4. im not sure how much the headgasket but it could cost1,200 and up to arond 2000. see when i got mine done i had timing belt and water pump replaced also. Important make sure they use oem or the felpro head gaskets! if not they well blow again in about 4 to 6 months! ive seen this dont so believe me. also did you have gasket with the tstat?

Old 04-10-2009, 09:15 AM

even if you buy a new t stat they can still be messed up or even broken ive gotten alot of them b4. im not sure how much the headgasket but it could cost1,200 and up to arond 2000. see when i got mine done i had timing belt and water pump replaced also. Important make sure they use oem or the felpro head gaskets! if not they well blow again in about 4 to 6 months! ive seen this dont so believe me. also did you have gasket with the tstat?
Thank you for the cost info. I may try to do a head Gasket job myself. I got a lot of time for myself after got laid off from the job. Do you have a DIY guide for the HG.

No, I did see any gasket for the tstat, but i did buy an O Ring for it.

Thanks

Old 04-10-2009, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by 91LegendLS
Thank you for the cost info. I may try to do a head Gasket job myself. I got a lot of time for myself after got laid off from the job. Do you have a DIY guide for the HG.

No, I did see any gasket for the tstat, but i did buy an O Ring for it.

Thanks
yea that oring is the gasket. i dont have a diy on this i dont have a aircompressor so we had our club mechanic do it for us if we get the parts he will do it for 700 as long as the heads arent warped then they have to be machined.