Legend This long running platform offered buyers both a coupe and sedan with a combination of luxury and performance...

91 Legend Coupe Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 12:02 PM

I have a 1991 Legend Coupe. I have been having trouble with it overheatig. I did all of the standard things like new thermostat, temperture sending unit, etc. The problem I have been having all along is that an air bubble keeps reforming up near the thermostat and blocks the water flow. I was finally convinced by the dealer that I had a bad head gasket. I invested the money and had the head gasket replace along with the timing belt and water pump. The car worked for a short while and then I started getting what I found out to be anti freeze on the window when I turned the defroster on. They said my heater core is now bad. Over the summer I did not use the defrost or heater and the car ran fine. It never over heated, even in 90 degree weather.The air bubblehas just started happening again. The air bubbleforms then car overheats. The fans do come on, but at a high level on my temperture gauge. Now I notice when I use my driver side electric window switch when the window is already up, the temperature gauge starts to go up slightly with each push. I need help with this frustrating issue.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:13 PM

man i hate these. they are hard to pinpoint.

go to a shop other than a dealer and have a combustable gas leak detection test performed.

it takes 5 min once the car is warm and will answer if the exhause gasses are causing the bubbles.

if they are then its head/head gasket time (again)

then have them, or yourself inspect the seal under your radiator cap (the 1 in the radiater) then have them check the cap too.

If that seal surface is corroded it may allow pressure to build but as the car cools down it could cause a air leak

heater cores do go bad on 16 year old cars after its
replaced request a coolent system leak test to insure that there are no
other leaks.

as far as the window motor affecting the temp guage???? wow cool...

got some vodoo in there. (dont push the button like that anymore)

but im betting you have a ground wire breaking or corroding.

that window motor draws a lot of power.

Edited by: acuralegend