Integra The car that brought the Acura name to the foreground of the sport tuner market...

LS Vtec durability question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 07:32 PM

Got a 97 LS integra with 70k miles...wanna do a Vtec setup but I'm hearing they dont last too long in terms of engine durability after the setup. Can anyone share some experience and science why this would be so (if it is so) Thanx.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:16 PM

[img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img] a little help anyone???

Old 03-13-2007, 09:54 PM

I've only read about In honda tuning. The science is that adding the V-TEC head (plus other stuff)to thenon-V-TECblockincreases the compressionratio in the engine, adds V-TEC andgives you more HP and tourque. My guess to the reason that they don't last longis that both top and bottom ends should be throughly, cleaned up and strengthened before they are mated. Most people likely don't prep this stuff enough first. This setup is most common in drag racing with a power adder, not a daily driver. what are you intentions for this car? Gotta ask, do you really live in Jamacia?[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Old 03-14-2007, 12:50 AM

[img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]yeah I really do live in Jamaica, born an raised. I want to increse power but thinking of either the vtec setup OR chipping the ECU (Hondata S100). Either would be the same approximate cost since I'll have to send the ECU back to Hondata. Its a daily driver and I want prolly a 30-50 Hp increase.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:47 PM

I would like to visit Jamacia someday. I've never been out of North America yet. Is your teg a USDM version or a JDM version LS? Have you considered a NOS setup? Several companies make a swap kit that connects your V-TEC oil line right from the spot that your oil filter goes on. Check out www.goldeneaglemfg.com the have cool swap parts that allow you to avoid the machine shop.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:31 PM

I have the LS Vtec and i have had 0 problems with it. I did have everything rebuilt and sleeved. I definatly suggest it, I blow GSR's in all day. Haven't met up with a Type-R yet but I am definatly looking forward to it.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:59 PM

i'm thinking about a ls/vtec hybrid is it worth the price?

Old 03-21-2007, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by azn_integra
i'm thinking about a ls/vtec hybrid is it worth the price?
couldn't say, I am just considering a LS-vtec.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:32 PM

I'm also considering chipping the ECU (say a hondata s100) and get some non vtec cams. which do yall recommend and which would give more gains?

Old 03-21-2007, 09:00 PM

Sorry,you guys got me both confused. azn_Integra,what's a ls/v-tec "hybrid" (do you mean the insight?) Red Oqtoba, do you mean cams and chipinstead of the v-tec head swap? Is your teg a usdm or jdm teg

Quick Reply: LS Vtec durability question