Acura  Forums - Acura Enthusiasts Forum

Acura Forums - Acura Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.acuraforums.com/forum/)
-   Integra (https://www.acuraforums.com/forum/integra-22/)
-   -   LS Vtec durability question (https://www.acuraforums.com/forum/integra-22/ls-vtec-durability-questin-953/)

Red Oqtoba 03-10-2007 07:32 PM

Got a 97 LS integra with 70k miles...wanna do a Vtec setup but I'm hearing they dont last too long in terms of engine durability after the setup. Can anyone share some experience and science why this would be so (if it is so) Thanx.

Red Oqtoba 03-12-2007 07:16 PM

[img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img] a little help anyone???

AKinDen 03-13-2007 09:54 PM

I've only read about In honda tuning. The science is that adding the V-TEC head (plus other stuff)to thenon-V-TECblockincreases the compressionratio in the engine, adds V-TEC andgives you more HP and tourque. My guess to the reason that they don't last longis that both top and bottom ends should be throughly, cleaned up and strengthened before they are mated. Most people likely don't prep this stuff enough first. This setup is most common in drag racing with a power adder, not a daily driver. what are you intentions for this car? Gotta ask, do you really live in Jamacia?[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Red Oqtoba 03-14-2007 12:50 AM

[img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]yeah I really do live in Jamaica, born an raised. I want to increse power but thinking of either the vtec setup OR chipping the ECU (Hondata S100). Either would be the same approximate cost since I'll have to send the ECU back to Hondata. Its a daily driver and I want prolly a 30-50 Hp increase.

AKinDen 03-14-2007 09:47 PM

I would like to visit Jamacia someday. I've never been out of North America yet. Is your teg a USDM version or a JDM version LS? Have you considered a NOS setup? Several companies make a swap kit that connects your V-TEC oil line right from the spot that your oil filter goes on. Check out www.goldeneaglemfg.com the have cool swap parts that allow you to avoid the machine shop.

SFlynn88 03-16-2007 05:31 PM

I have the LS Vtec and i have had 0 problems with it. I did have everything rebuilt and sleeved. I definatly suggest it, I blow GSR's in all day. Haven't met up with a Type-R yet but I am definatly looking forward to it.

azn_integra 03-21-2007 07:59 PM

i'm thinking about a ls/vtec hybrid is it worth the price?

Red Oqtoba 03-21-2007 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by azn_integra
i'm thinking about a ls/vtec hybrid is it worth the price?

couldn't say, I am just considering a LS-vtec.

Red Oqtoba 03-21-2007 08:32 PM

I'm also considering chipping the ECU (say a hondata s100) and get some non vtec cams. which do yall recommend and which would give more gains?

AKinDen 03-21-2007 09:00 PM

Sorry,you guys got me both confused. azn_Integra,what's a ls/v-tec "hybrid" (do you mean the insight?) Red Oqtoba, do you mean cams and chipinstead of the v-tec head swap? Is your teg a usdm or jdm teg