Integra The car that brought the Acura name to the foreground of the sport tuner market...

Buying 1998 Acura Integra - Need Advice! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 10:54 PM
Default Buying 1998 Acura Integra - Need Advice! Help!!

So im looking for my first car and i stumbled upon this acura integra after searching through many many cars in my price range. I just had a few questions for the all-knowing acura community. is 250km too high to buy a car at? is 250km on a 98 mean the cars been driven to the ground? the guy said its only leaking oil on the side of the engine with the valve, and after some research ive come to the conclusion that this is just a valve gasket leak and if i buy a new valve gasket i could repair it myself. The car still runs and drives and he said you just have to keep an eye on the oil. Any advice? i really want this car, but should i stay away? any tips?
Thanks for the support!

Here's the ad: http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ403866500

Old 08-19-2012, 07:14 PM

I have bought and sold many high km cars in my life. Here are a few things I have learned along the way.

First off, no brand of car is immune to high km's, volvo's, honda's and toyota's are known well for standing the test of time. The life of the vehicle is often dictated by regular maintenance and good driving habits. In most cases of older vehicles, getting records of the last few years of maintenance is the best case scenario. I have always filed reciepts and service records for my cars, helps when it comes time to sell.

If the car is going to be your daily driver with expectations to get you to work and be fairly reliable, then I would have it inspected. Most reasonable seller's will be ok with you taking the time and effort to have the car inspected. Do not rely solely on the information a seller is giving you. After all their goal is to sell their vehicle, every thing is an "easy fix"

I noticed the price is $4000, this is probably one of the toughest price ranges to purchase in. To some people 4g's is no big deal, and some seller's will suggest it is a waste of time and money to have the car inspected. Don't pay someone to take away their headache and end up stuck with the cost of deferred maintenance. Get that inspection, if they say no, walk away, another integra will be around the corner. I used to buy 5.0 mustangs, i fell in love with most craigslist ads, very hard to walk away at times, but another one was always around the corner.

Anyways that's my buyer beware advice, to the actual car, if the only concern you end up having is the replacement of a gasket, make the purchase contingent on having the gasket replaced and installed by a reputable shop. I have purchased cars on shear excitement and emotion. Some have burned me and others I have got lucky, just do your research. Inquire in a polite manner, that if the problem is easy to fix, why hasn't it been done?

That was long winded, but I know when excitment takes over it is hard to imagine anything else in your driveway but this car. Good luck, also take a parent or friend when you visit the car, it usually helps keep the seller in check, they often won't exaggerate if two people are witness.

Brody