General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Wheel out of place

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 05:11 AM

Brand new to the forums and a fairly new proud owner of a 98' RL.

Unfortunately, I was taking some fast corners the other day at around 35mph and lost control of the car, hopped a curb and blew out both passenger tires, then when trying to regain control I slammed my drivers side front tire into the other curb and thought I was lucky that I didn't pop that one - luck was something that was not with me.

I take it in to get the tires replaced and aside from my alignment being about 25 degrees off, my drivers front tire is a few inches backwards from where it's supposed to be (about 4 inches towards the rear), and now when I turn or go over a small bump my tire grinds against the wheel well.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? The first things that came to my mind were frame damage - goodbye $2k - a control arm or bent axle.

However, I'll be the first to admit my technical knowledge of cars is lacking, so any help is highly appreciated.

Also, anyone know of a good mechanic in Northern Virginia, or am I better off going to a dealer?

Thanks a lot,

Sebastian