General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Warm start poor idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 06:29 PM

Hi I have a 1989 Acura Integra with extremly low miles and great condition car (like new).

The problem I have is once I'm done driving for at least an hour or so and stop the motor then approx 5minutes later jump back in and start the car the engine cant idle. If I keep my gas peddle into the motor a little bit while I start it the the engine runs roughf like on 3 cyl instead of 4cyl. Once the engine runs for a bit then the roughf idle goes away. I did a recent tune up and injector cleaning thinking that this would solve this issue. WIth no luck of course.This only happens when the engine is Warm from justrecently been running. Any ideas before I spend allot of money?

Old 03-07-2007, 09:33 PM

Didyou replaced, plugs, wires, rotor and cap during the tune up?Any check engine lights?

Old 03-08-2007, 01:22 PM

Yes Plugs,Wires, rotor, cap all replaced. I even got the injectors cleaned. NO CHECK Engine lights.

This problem started before the tune up and I thought ok replace everything and clean injectors while I'm at it.

Now I'm wondering if it's a distributor or sensor or computer problem?

Old 03-08-2007, 02:25 PM

Does it use coolent? If so you may have a blown head gasket. The symtoms you describe can be cause by just such a problem. The coolent can be tested for head gasket leaks.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:11 PM

It's not using coolant but I'll check this.

My Plugs look really good. Also exzaust is good too.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:56 PM

After you get it hot, look for bubbles comming out of the radiator. Leave the cap off while warming up! Otherwise, you might have to do the coolent analysis.

It is not always obvious from the exhaust that the gasket is blown.

With extremely low milage, it is possible nobody ever changed the coolent and a bit of corrosion has worked its way through the gasket. When you engine get hot and the cooling system is under pressure, coolent may leak back into one or more cylinders, thus coating the spark plug and everything else with water.

Once the plug dries off and starts sparking the fuel mix, the engine smoothes out, will idle and run fine. If the leak gets real bad, it will never clear and then you might notice your exhaust being extra steamy!

Been there, done this, more than once.