General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Surging, only in cold weather.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 10:08 PM

</NO>
<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Well, there are three things to look at. The IAC Valve, the Starting Air Valve, and the Fast Idle Thermo Valve. I am suspicious yourCEL is not working because the ECU/PCM should try to control this problem through the IAC valve and since it is not, the fault should be flagged; does the light come on when you first put the ignition switchin the run position? There are other symptoms that could point to the IAC valve: on automatics, placing in it in drive should not alter engine RPM, does RPM drop when power steering is turned while parked, anything that changes engine load should be corrected by the IAC valve. [/I]
<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">[/I]
<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Do you know what IAC stands for?[/I]
<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"> [/I]<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">[/I]
<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">[/I]
<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">[/I]Edited by: alangrwd

Old 10-29-2006, 01:37 AM

yeah the rpm does drop when i turn the wheel, when it's in park. the check engine light comes on for a second when everything else does when i first start it, yes.

google told me that iac stands for idle air control valve [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] ... but i have no clue where im looking for any of these things, and what exactly im looking for

Old 10-29-2006, 01:07 PM

Ok the CEL works! That is good news. As an aside, Acura call engine check indicator Malfunction Indicator Lamp or MIL.

The normal all warmed up, unloaded idle is 600 RPM and it will stay at 600 RPM with loads applied. This is a very complex system that is scattered all over the engine. You need at least a rudimentary manual to act as a guide in diagnosing what exactly is wrong or shot gunning. At $281 for an IAC valve what do you want to do? The section in the factory manuals is 25 pages long with all kinds of tables, flow charts, and drawings to guide factory trained technicians through this system.

Here are a few photos for your use.

[img]uploads/alangrwd/C2173_IMGP0134_edited-2_copy.jpg[/img]

Pain in the butt getting these photos sized right for this so, this is it. You are looking at the solenoid for the IAC valve. The control harness is disconnected from it.

Good luck!