General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Surging, only in cold weather.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 05:51 PM

1995 Acura Legend L
Automatic Transmission
141,000 miles

I've been having this problem for over a year now, last winter i was trying to find out what the problem was, after asking around i got a suggestion that it might be the fuel filter, i changed that as spring was rolling around, and the problem seemed to say for a few weeks, but then went away. My prediction is that it was because the weather, as it was warm from then on.

Now that it's getting into fall, the cold is back, and so is the problem.

The car seems to surge between 1k and 1.5-2k when in park, a little bit of surging and shaking of the car when cruising along, city or highway.

The problem only used to be after being in park for a minute or so, and then it would surge progressively, and seem as though it was going to die on me. Now the problem happens as soon as the car is in park.

I've read that it could be a few things, from IACV, to vacuum routing, throttle plate being closed all the way, and the problem that i'm hoping it is, just simply an oxygen sensor.

But none of the problems i've found posted on forums seem to be specific to the temperature outside like my problem is.

Any ideas?

Old 10-17-2006, 11:02 PM

have you checked for codes, does the check engine light come on, what are the temperatures when symptoms occur:60, 30 -30, what?

If I understand what you are saying, your idle speed is changing and that could be a vacume leak, howeverI would not expect temperature to be a factor there. Does the problem go away after the engine is warm?

Hmmmm, I wonder what is in the factory manual regarding idle surging?

Old 10-17-2006, 11:44 PM

no i haven't checked the codes. i figured it'd be about 50-100 $ to have a shop check that, and if i could find an answer without checking the codes, i could save a lot of money.

the temperature seems to be anything below 50.

yes the problem does seem to go away once the engine is warm, usually after 15ish minutes of driving.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:13 AM

Hey, you can check the codes on this car; no expensive tools required!

There is a connector under the dash passenger side. It has a blind connector plug into it and may be buried to the point you can not see it. Get a Haynes manual, it will explain using it and list the codes. You did not say if you have seen a check engine light.

You save money by doing your own work, that means you own time spent diagnosing the problem, getting under the hood and getting your fingers greasy, knuckles skinned, etc. It is lots of fun?

<DIV class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center>
<HR =-1 align=center width="100%" SIZE=2>
</DIV>

Old 10-19-2006, 06:15 AM

nope, no check engine light.
so i see something under the dash, has a female end of a plug, and a red light on it, but the red light is out, and not blinking, how do i real those codes or whatever, and with what equipment?

Old 10-19-2006, 11:32 AM

What you describe sounds like some sort of security device indicator.

If you have not received a check engine light (CEL) then no codes will have been set into the PCM/ECU, depending if yours has an automatic or manual transmission. Codes are displayed through the CEL when the test jack is shorted and the ignition switch is turned to the run position.

I’ll post a photo of the jack later.

You're Welcome

Edited by: alangrwd

Old 10-20-2006, 05:03 AM

automatic transmission.
but if theres no light, theres no codes, and if theres no codes, no diagnostics through the car's computer will tell me what's wrong...right?

so what do you think the problem is? o2 sensor? ....?

Old 10-20-2006, 11:31 AM

If you have O2 sensor problems, you will get a check engine light and the resulting code will tell you which one, right or left.Has it had regular maintenance? Have you looked for lose or brokenhoses or connectors? I have 170K on mine and the original O2s! What were the results of the last emission test!Edited by: alangrwd

Old 10-20-2006, 06:31 PM

the car used to be a california car, but not anymore, not for a year and a half now, there are no emission tests required in oklahoma.
i've looked, and physically, everything looks fine

Old 10-24-2006, 08:57 PM

okay so i payed a little more attention to the car's behavior...
this problem only seems to happen in the morning.
i'll start the car, no problems, just seems to idle high for a minute or two, i'll start drivin down the road, i can feel a little bit of surging/shaking as im just cruising down the road (when not accelerating).
i'll get into the parking lot, and be idling under 2k, it will surge all the way through the parking lot like im pumping the gas, from about 1.5-2k.
then i'll put it in park, and itll jump from 1k-2k a second at a time, the same rate as when idleing while in drive. if i put the rpm above 2k, no problem, it'll steadily drop, but below 2k, the needle bounces away again.
mind you, ONLY in the morning (when it's cold?) does this seem to happen, i can not drive the car for 7 hours while im at work, and it still doesnt do it on the way home.

Quick Reply: Surging, only in cold weather.