General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Starting Problem.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:21 AM

on '96 3.2 TL

It will start intermittently. I turn the ignition key and get a click from the solenoid, but the starter motor doesn't turn over. I release the key (NOT all the way back to the off position) then turn it again and the starter engages and the engine starts.

I have replaced the battery and cleaned the contacts on the battery cables, so I am 100% sure that it is getting juice. Is the starter motor going? Or perhaps the solenoid? Battery cable problems elsewhere? Thoughts?

Old 11-27-2007, 08:49 AM

You may have a bad relay or your ignition switch is worn out. If it was mine I would be doing a little circuit tracing with a DMM and circuit schematic.

Keep us posted.Edited by: alangrwd

Old 02-15-2008, 03:43 PM

Well, this thing has driven me crazy for months. I figured it was either a bad connection somewhere or a bad starter. I checked all the connections from battery to ground to starter, and everything was good.

Over this past weekend I took a look at replacing the starter. Man, what a bear!!! You have to remove the left side drive axle which means that you have to disassemble part of the left side suspension.

I just wasn't up for that task as I am still recovering from some spinal surgery back in December, so I took the car to my local indy shop and he said, "Yeah, common problem. And yes, you do have to remove the axle to get at the starter."

Not a cheap fix, but its done now. Glad to have the old TL back in the 'reliable' mode again.
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 02-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Administrator :

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
You might also think about replacing the ignition switch on that car of yours...[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 03-11-2008, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by jg atl
Well, this thing has driven me crazy for months. I figured it was either a bad connection somewhere or a bad starter. I checked all the connections from battery to ground to starter, and everything was good.

Over this past weekend I took a look at replacing the starter. Man, what a bear!!! You have to remove the left side drive axle truck part which means that you have to disassemble part of the left side suspension.

I just wasn't up for that task as I am still recovering from some spinal surgery back in December, so I took the car to my local indy shop and he said, "Yeah, common problem. And yes, you do have to remove the axle to get at the starter."

Not a cheap fix, but its done now. Glad to have the old TL back in the 'reliable' mode again.
&lt; src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"&gt;</>&lt; ="text/"&gt;_uacct = "UA-939292-41"; urchinTracker(); </>
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-41";
urchinTracker();
</>

Well, good for you men.. My guess to the car problem you had would be the fuse.. But hey, you figured it out.. Congratulations!!