General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

pls HELP the Mechanically challenged

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 06:30 PM

Ok, this is going to seem, sound, and be a stupid question. I am very much an electrican not a mechanic.So quick everybody laugh and giggle then PLEASE help. I am replacing (or at least trying to take off) my alternator on my 88 Legend. It seems so simple, and yet a few hours later it's still in the same place. After releasing some bolts, hoses, and covers from the immediate area, I took two large, what I would call "mounting bolts" out of the assembly. This did nothing. I hit it with a hammer...nothing. So then I see this small third pulley on the main belt and decide that must be the tensioner. There is a bolt which appears like it adjusts the pulley up/down, but it dosn't seem to be lossening the belt. So I hit that part with a hammer...still nothing.

I am trying to do this as inexpensively as possible which is why I didn't just go buy the manual. AmI on the right track? Or do I need a bigger hammer? Only you can help me now.Maybe someone has a link to this procedure?

Old 10-09-2007, 08:02 PM

Here is the page from the 95 Legend manual:

[img]uploads/alangrwd/95_Alternator_Replacement.jpg[/img]

It looks straight forward and if your engine and alternator are mounted in the same manor, the process should be the same.

By the way, i have nearly 190k miles on my 95 with the original alternator. I put approxamately 2000 miles a month on the car commuting. This is a great car!

What do you do with your car?

Edited by: alangrwd