General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Huge problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 04:31 PM

I own a 92 acura vigor GS and ive been having tons of problems with it. My cooling system seems to have to much pressure and my hoses keep breaking and my radiator cracked. I had the rad changed and the shop told me the cooling fans werent cycling proporly. Could someone explain what this means to me? Anyways, after i got it fixed another 3 hoses started leaking and i dont know what to do. Every time i drive it i randomly get a check engine light which is accompanyed by a huge power loss and only letting me go up to 3000 rpm then it seems to govern or something. This happens sometimes not for a couple hours at most but other times every 5 mins. While im driving i have to put it in nutral and turn the car off and then back on and the CEL goes away and i get my power back. Ive been doing this for almost a year now and i have no idea whats wrong. Also i get surging idle when i start it up in cold weather but it goes away for a while. Sometimes when i stop at a light when the engine is hot the idle surges again and gets lower and lower almost hitting 0. It has stalled a couple times from this. Also my battery drains every time i park the car. I charge it up to full and in one or two days its empty again. Sometimes when im driving the battery almost dies like all the lights turn off and the radio but it never has died from that. Last thing, the fan that defrosts my front window only has low speed and high speed wont work. The car seems pretty messed up but ive been reading alot about it and ive come up with a couple things. Could it be the alternator that causes most of this? Or MAF? or a problem with my throttle body? please help i need to drive this car until the summer.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:44 AM

OUCH

WELL BELIEVE IT OR NOT ALL OF THESE PROBLEMS CAN BE CAUSED BY A POOR GROUND TO CHASSIS CONECTION.

I WOULD START BY UN BOLTING ALL GROUND WIRES FROM THE ENGINE. CLEANING THE CONTACT SURFACES AND REINSTALL THEM.
SHOULD BE 2-3 WIRES IN ALL

NEXT CLEAN THOSE BATTERY TERMINALS AND MAKE SURE THERE IS NO CORROSION ON OR IN THE WIRES.

THEN ITS TIME TO HIT THE SHOPS.

HAVE A CHARGING SYSTEM PERFORMANCE TEST DONE, MAKE SURE ITS DONE WITH A HIGH LOAD AND AT OPPERATING TEMP. (a over volting alternater can cause massive issues on the system)

ALSO HAVE A COMBUSTABLE LEAK TEST PERFORMED ON THE COOLING SYSTEM. (that will check the cylinder head to make sure its not warped)

LET ME KNOW WHAT HAPPENS AND IF THINGS CHANGE.