General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Head Gasket Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 06:41 PM

I just replaced the head gasket on a 96 2.5 TL. My problem is there is still a very small amount of steam coming from the head close to the distributor cap. The car was almost given to me and I am trying to learn, and do all of the work myself. My questions are: Should I pull the head back of and replace the head gasket again? Can I leave it like it is, sense it is only a small leak? Is this normal when replacing a head gasket, and it will seal on its own? Can I torque the head bolts tighter to stop the leak?

tks 4 any help

Old 10-16-2007, 08:20 AM

The question is why was it leaking in the first place? Are there hoses in this location? Did it misfire when started? What condition was the coolant when drained? Did you have the head surfaced or checked for flatness? Has the engine ever been over heated? Do you know of its maintenance history?

Don’t drive it if it is leaking; if you are getting steam you are leaking. If it is leaking it will not hold pressure and coolant will boil off the cylinders and combustion chamber surfaces, causing localized hot spots.

You could also loose all the coolant and fry that engine. Been there and done it! Twice! Some people learn harder.

You need to pressure check the cooling system. Go to the library do a little research in the automotive maintenance section. At the very least, get a Haynes repair guide. If you fall in love with the car and your pockets are deep, get the factory manuals.

At least you used a torque wrench, however did you torque the nuts in the correct sequence and to to proper levels?

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress Edited by: alangrwd