General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

engine shuts down

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 11:29 PM

i have a 1991 integra i just had a new distributer with cap roter wires and plugs installed actually had it done again to make sure it was correct the car just simply shuts down it will start ;idle then just shut off as if i turned it off with the key i also had the fuel pressure/pump checked they were ok . my problem is electrical i just cant find out where the problems coming from.i dont no where or how to fix this problem any suggestings would be great thanks

Old 04-04-2006, 05:00 PM

i would start by checking the coil. when they start flakin out the tend to do that. I replaced my because of the same issue. bought it for $48 at advanced auto. keep in mind that there is a ton of things that will cause this problem. So if you put in a new coil and it doesn't fix it, return it. hope this helps. let me know

Old 04-05-2006, 09:29 PM

copyguy thanks for your reply . however i did replace the coil also .i believe i have a short someplace either from the after market alarm or the stereo was stolen [ripped out] or that the sunroof leaks who knows it could be any where i just cant find it ya know thanks again

Old 04-12-2006, 03:16 PM

sorry that didn't help. good luck

Old 07-25-2006, 06:20 PM

does the engine only shut down when its hot out or you ran the car 5 minutes ago...or all the time?

Old 09-17-2006, 04:10 PM

BOY I HATE THESE

you did a fuel pressure test...did you see its pressure at the time the engine stopped?

Idle air controll fault? unplug it will it stay running unplugged?

and does it code when unplugged?

check the temp sensor plugs for corrosion.

AFTERMARKET alarm was stolen? did that system have a ignition kill circuit?

injector circuit firing full time or is it shutting down causing the engine to stop.

do you have oil pressure?

Sorry for the extra question i hope they point you in the right direction.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:14 PM

JHorseMy Legend came up with a run problem. It would start, but as soon as the switch went to the run position, it died. All the instruments died, dash lights died, everything dead just as if it was turned off. The main ignition switch went bad on the run contacts.

Your after market alarm was probably spliced in the the main run harness. You might have to repair the wire.

Easy fix!

Alan

Old 11-14-2007, 07:46 PM

most common cause of that problem is the pgmfi fuel main relay. under dash on drivers side. i see it all the time.