General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Check Engine Forever

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 01:30 AM
Default Check Engine Forever

my 02 Tl with 109k miles had the check engine light on, so i took it to the dealership i got the car from (Ford) and they serviced it, shutting the light off.
problem is, a week later it came back on, so i went back and they said leave it for the weekend, and a mechanic from the nearby acura would look at it. they ordered a new emission sensor, saying it would tak ethe light off, but the light is still on. the car still runs fine, and im not trying to have my car in the shop anymore than it already has been. any suggestions on what it might be...

Old 07-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Default You need to know why the CEL is on....

Go to an Autozone or Pep Boys or other auto parts store and have them read the code for you from the OBD II (On Board Diagnostics) system. Then you can look up the code on Google so you will know what you are dealing with.

My guess is that your Ford store just reset the light without doing anything to address the problem - which is usually something related to emission controls - thus the reason the car runs fine and also the reason the CEL came back.

Do you have a warranty with the Ford store? If not, I'm not sure why the heck you would take it there. If no warranty, find a good independent and tell them what the results are of the code search. It may be something as simple as an O2 sensor that has gone bad. At 109K on an '02, that is a distinct possibility.

Good luck! Let us know what you find.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:48 AM

Red lights can also indicate a safety issue, so proceed with caution as you maneuver to stop the vehicle. Unfortunately, when the red light is illuminated the problem is at its peek.

Red lights can also mean that the Police are after you for spamming these forums..I took out your Spam Below...

Old 08-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Administrator :

Your An Ultimate African Mango alright !

Old 08-13-2011, 12:46 PM

Have you tried using a scan tool and check it out yourself? you can look up the code and find the issue. Dealer guys don't always know everything.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Administrator :

And if all else fails, take it to the Acura shop and send the ford guy the bill...

Old 08-27-2012, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by jg atl
Go to an Autozone or Pep Boys or other aftermarket car parts store and have them read the code for you from the OBD II (On Board Diagnostics) system. Then you can look up the code on Google so you will know what you are dealing with.

My guess is that your Ford store just reset the light without doing anything to address the problem - which is usually something related to emission controls - thus the reason the car runs fine and also the reason the CEL came back.

Do you have a warranty with the Ford store? If not, I'm not sure why the heck you would take it there. If no warranty, find a good independent and tell them what the results are of the code search. It may be something as simple as an O2 sensor that has gone bad. At 109K on an '02, that is a distinct possibility.

Good luck! Let us know what you find.
Well I guess the best thing you should now is to go to a shop and ask for a quote for a new oxygen sensor. I am not saying it is really the culprit but I have my suspicion but nonetheless, let an experience mechanic check it for you.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I'm not sure why the heck you would take it there. If no warranty, find a good independent and tell them what the results are of the code search. It may be something as simple as an O2 sensor that has gone bad. At 109K on an '02, that is a distinct possibility.

----------------------------
TVs making the ideal into reality --- One Tree Hill Season 9 DVD, What We Need Is Persist.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:16 AM
Newest Of Newbies

saying it would tak ethe light off, but the light is still on. the car still runs fine, and im not trying to have my car in the shop anymore than it already has been. any suggestions on what it might be...

----------------------
Life Is Going on in Movies --- Boardwalk Empire Season 2 DVD, Which Exist at Everywhere.