General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

attempted theft problem--HELP!!

Old 01-08-2006, 08:03 PM

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>

hey everyone-

i have a 2001 GSR and it has been broken into 2x's.there beenno sign of forced entry either time. the first time, the culprit didnt get too far (they got in and ripped of the steering column casing, but thats about it (ran away with all my CDs). the second time they got much farther--my car was hotwired. the mechanic said that the person was able to start the car but couldnt get past the locked steering wheel. i have not felt safe in my own home and have been staying with friends and family for weeks now. i feel like my car is 'as good as gone'. i have to get an alarm installed and was hoping to find some sort of "chastity belt" for all that stuff in the steering column. does anyone have any suggestions? similar situations? any advise would be helpful. thanks!

Old 02-06-2006, 01:40 PM

move...... just kiddin. about the only thing you can do is up your insurance coverage. what I mean is, I use AAA. They have a program where you can claim modifications you have done (stereo, speakers, intake, exhaust, etc.). In the event that it does get stolen, you would get a car back and the cash to reinstall yoou mods. I have had my car broken into 4 times now and it sucks. Makes you want to kill somebody. I wish you luck.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:10 PM

haha, I actually considered moving! I just installed a Viper alarm system and am hoping that will deter the culprit. Thanks so much for your response, it was very helpful. I am going to look into AAA and their options. Best wishes.

Old 03-09-2006, 12:28 PM

does your viper alarm have the starter cutoff. That is what you need it is almost impossible to steal a car with that unless you actually can replace the starter and then drive off. Viper also makes a car alarm with the page and if you are in your house and someone tries to break into your car it pages your remote and you will know automatically.

Old 03-09-2006, 12:30 PM

Or you could buy a huge dog and tie him to one of your wheels.

Old 03-09-2006, 03:33 PM

Yes, the alarm does have the starter cut-off. It is comforting knowing that the starter would actually have to be replaced before the car would start. Is this true for standard as well as automatic cars?My GSR is standard and I'm wondering if the starter is bypassed by jump-starting?? My mind isn't completely as ease with the new alarm system, and I don't have the pager feature, but I'm hoping that whoever is breaking into my car won't want to deal with getting around the alarm.

Funny you mention a dog...my ex-boyfriend jokingly offered to let me borrow his dog for a night. I'm sure you would laugh if you met his dog-She would probably lick the thief to death!

-thanks for your messages!

Old 03-09-2006, 07:57 PM

yes it is true for standard as well as auto.

Old 03-10-2006, 06:06 PM

good to know!

Old 03-12-2006, 03:41 AM

The pager alarm is crap. The range on them is just not enough and when you take in to account the walls and all other forms of interference on them I can barley get a signal from inside my house.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Blooddust
The pager alarm is crap. The range on them is just not enough and when you take in to account the walls and all other forms of interference on them I can barley get a signal from inside my house.

The range on them is supposed to be 1/4 mile but I don't know anyone like that. I do know several people that can recieve in their house and they are happy with that. It all depends on what kind of interference there is in the airwaves that day.